Thread: Glue or Crosscut First?

Glue or Crosscut First?

I have two pieces of stock 25" x 4 3/4" x 3/4" that will be edge glued (9 1/2" wide) and crosscut into two pieces 12" long.

Is there any particular advantage to crosscutting and then the glue up vs doing the glue up and then the crosscut? Made myself nuts this evening thinking about it. I can confuse myself about the simplest stuff.

Tom

I think the only reason for not gluing the pieces long would be inability to get a good fitting joint . But it could be done
    satisfactorily either way.

I typically do the glue up first. The main reason is that it leaves me a bit more error room if the ends don’t match perfectly after the glue up. Also, if I plan to run the assembly through my planer after the glue up, the extra length may be needed to meet the minimum for my planer.

Blog Entries
    You will likely find six reasons to do it one way and a half dozen for going the other way.

One glue up followed by one cut vs two cuts followed by two glue ups, Hmmmmmmm…

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Glue first. You’ll have to cut it afterward anyway, so...

No doubt the pieces will be cut after glue-up anyway so, I would go with crosscut first a little oversize and select where to crosscut to give the best grain matching. Then glueup, then surface, then crosscut to finished size.

Do not glue first if you do not have the ability (skills or tools) to handle (square up) a 9 1/2" wide board. Squaring up a 4 3/4" wide board is a piece of cake on the shooting board.

Otherwise, glue it first.

Some people will tell you it does not matter which way to go; it does if you think it does. You will develop and refine your skills and techniques by asking good questions before you shoot (pun intended ) like the one you just posted here.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 07-19-2018 at 12:35 PM.

Thanks to you all for responding, I appreciate the discussion.

I glued first and then crosscut. I decided it would be easier to finish plane one long piece of stock after gluing rather than two short ones. My shooting board is long enough to handle the full width, so that's the way i went.

Thanks again,

Tom