Thread: DIY swing away and down

DIY swing away and down

I made a swing away for my lathe a year or so ago and was never happy with one aspect of the final product. When loaded with the tailstock and moved to the "swung" position it was still in the way of my captured hollowing setup. I decided to change to a swing and down version somewhat like the Powermatic option. Before spending the time to do a metal version I wanted to make a wooden mock up to insure things would work as they should. I spent an afternoon with some scraps from around the shop and ended up with something I like so much I am going to just leave it in place and forget the metal version. I thought it might be of some interest so I am posting some pictures. It swings out and down and is completely below the ways.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like that may have to make one for my grizzly

Awesome idea! Thanks for sharing. Weekend project coming up.
    "Everything will be alright in the end.... If it isn't alright, then it isn't the end!"

That's clever-- thanks for sharing!
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

Thanks for the comments guys. With the metal version I was going to put a spring helper to make it easier to swing it back up from the down position but it is just not needed. Very easy build.