Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tannewitz quadrant

Tannewitz quadrant

Who has has one and who wants one???

Those that have, willing to help out those who want???

Those who want and those who have that are willing to participate with numbers are all welcome.

The idea here is to try to reproduce the sought after quadrant.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 07-18-2018 at 12:52 AM.

Don't have one, will want one if I ever get a big old saw like a PK, that probably won't happen though. Good luck with the quest, some people will be happy if you accomplish it.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Add me to the want list.

There's a third group of poeple: those who have no idea what a Tannewitz quadrant is. I know who Tannewitz is, but what is a quadrant in this context?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    There's a third group of poeple: those who have no idea what a Tannewitz quadrant is. I know who Tannewitz is, but what is a quadrant in this context?
    Here ya go

IMG_0544.jpg

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Van, that is not the Tannewitz quadrant. That is a Wadkin PK & PP quadrant.

This is a Tannewitz quadrant.
    D6D27401-3EBF-48AE-BA06-3E6E22113373.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    Van, that is not the Tannewitz quadrant. That is a Wadkin PK & PP quadrant.

This is a Tannewitz quadrant.
    D6D27401-3EBF-48AE-BA06-3E6E22113373.jpg

My bad I could have swore the Tanny was built similar to the Wadkin. Learned something new today.

Just realized I am in the 4th group of people, those that think they know what one is...
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 07-18-2018 at 2:49 PM.

So it is a miter gauge, right? And it sets some angles with a pin into a hole into a sliding table?

The English and Euro machines favored the double quadrant which is really the most versatile choice. US manufacturers generally just used a single quadrant. If the operator wasn't careful he could saw through the back half when not paying attention so a complete unit is rare. The quadrant and table holes and etchings were matched to each machine so some reworking needs to be done if replacing. Kind of like onboard grinders for jointers and planers. Each were set precisely and pinned into place so they are not plug and play when substituting. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    The English and Euro machines favored the double quadrant which is really the most versatile choice. US manufacturers generally just used a single quadrant. If the operator wasn't careful he could saw through the back half when not paying attention so a complete unit is rare. The quadrant and table holes and etchings were matched to each machine so some reworking needs to be done if replacing. Kind of like onboard grinders for jointers and planers. Each were set precisely and pinned into place so they are not plug and play when substituting. Dave
    Dave I respectfully disagree with your opinion. I call this the chicken or the egg. I do firmly believe that the quadrant was completely machine and bored. It was placed on the table aligned and transferred. But I cannot be absolutely 100% sure unless... I make a fixture that documents this measurement. But I’m going to put my theory to the test.

I wish a Robinson one would fall out of the trees I have been shaking.

Matt, is it your belief that all quadrants were bored exactly the same and the tables too so they are generally interchangeable? That would simplify life a lot- assuming you find a quadrant. Miter gauges are bored inconsistently but quadrants might have been more precise. Let me know what you find. Won't be the first or last time I'm wrong. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    And here is its usefulness

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlLzZ7NBf4K/
    jack
    English machines

You will have to fight me ( or someone I hire ) for it, Darcy. Dave

Dave, maybe I’ll tee up with you for the next project. No need to fight. Play nice and things just fall out of the air. (Or get delivered to your mailbox.)