Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Craigs List morons

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I have always wondered why sellers will post "I will ignore "do you still have it" e-mails"
    Why is that question so bothersome? I see it just as a way to introduce yourself to the seller. Kinda a "hello" or "how you doing"
    Instead of "do you still have it", try "when can I have a look at it?" Or "are there any leaks?"
    Or anything to show that you aren't some moron who is replying to 150 posts and has no interest in mine.

Because if post is still up, it is still for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    At best, it's just a waste of time. I don't need an intro, just tell me when you want to come get it. It's super-simple since I work from home. Most people seem to like it, as most of the time it will be something like "Can I pick it up between 2 and 3pm tomorrow?" Perfect. No screwing around with price or "do you still have it?"

Most people who say "do you still have it" either never follow up again, or they will actually ask why I didn't make them an offer for less money. I guess they are expecting something like "Still have it, will let it go for $X" which is less than advertised. I don't haggle. The price is the price. Buy it or don't.

Basically, I've been doing it long enough to spot the patterns that predict a bad buyer, and avoid them.
    Not sure why it's more a waste of time than the sellers who don't take down their listing after an item is sold, which is as someone who occasionally buys through Craigslist, but never sells, I can tell you is VERY common. It's always the first think I ask, as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Because if post is still up, it is still for sale.
    If only that's how it worked. It isn't.

That's why I specifically say it, and I do remove posts when sold. This is on a macro...

If the ad is up, I still have it. I will ignore "do you still have it" e-mails. We are a few miles North of Happy Valley Road on 67th Avenue, in the Sonoran Mountain Ranch area. The pin on the map shows our approximate location. I work from home so I'm generally available most any time. Please reply with a time when you can pick it up and I will confirm.

BUT...that said, I just had to ask someone if he did have an item. The post was two months old. I had some intelligent questions along with...do you still have it. I never leave posts up that long.

I think asking if it is still available is a valid question. You may remove ads when the item is sold but many do not. Rather than ignore a "is it still available email" why not respond "yes when do you want to come and look at it?" Why discourage a potential sale because you are annoyed at the question?

Not because I'm annoyed at the question, but because it's one of the signs of a person who will be a pain to deal with. It most often leads to idiocy. I have no time for idiots. I'd rather lose the sale than deal with morons.

I guess i won't be buying from you on Craigslist Carlos because I often ask, especially if the post has been up a while and I don't consider myself a pain to deal with (although my wife may disagree ).

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    I guess i won't be buying from you on Craigslist Carlos because I often ask, especially if the post has been up a while and I don't consider myself a pain to deal with (although my wife may disagree ).
    I agree I always ask if it is still available and then ask if when I can come by and see it. I do ask if they use a safe haven to do their sales unless it is to big

I also don't leave ads up for more than a week or so, and meet at my house. Nobody around here has any problem with that. I've heard that in some cities people only meet in public places.

Here's what I consider a Craigslist moron, can any one tell from the ad whether the poster has 100bf of fine cherry or an old railway tie?

Free wood

Email me when you can pickup and I'll give you the address. Thanks!

If posting is up, it's still available

Amazing the ad has been up for 11 hours and no takers.

The post was just updated, it's a small pile of firewood.
    Last edited by Doug Garson; 09-28-2018 at 6:55 PM. Reason: added last sentence and photo

Most of the time when I get the emails that say "Do u still have it?" they never reply when I write back "Yes". Some do, and of those some are actually willing to pay the price I have posted. I don't haggle either, it's not my forte. When I am writing I say "I would like to buy your _______________ if it is still available". Sometimes I also ask a question, but at least I figure this way they will know that I am a person and not a robot. I don't copy the text of the ad title word for word when stating what I am asking about, but rephrase it slightly which I think may also help with appearing to be an actual person.
    Zach

I just bought a motorcycle via CL. The seller was a complete moron by text and e-mail, and would not accept a phone call. But then in person, everything was fine, the bike was better than described (he had no idea it was packed with a couple grand in OEM options), and he very easily took less than he asked (he did say OBO, and *had* to sell right away). That's an unusual thing, as usually morons by e-mail are even worse in person.

Blog Entries
    Seeing this made me think of this old thread.

On-Line Sale.jpg

That's an unusual thing, as usually morons by e-mail are even worse in person.
    Some people are not very good at their textual skills. One of my in-laws is a bit dyslexic and doesn't do well reading and writing. When it comes to talking you can't shut him up.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

CL can be a gold mine.
    I've purchased 5 telescopes in the last year. A 2 scope deal for $100 was profit when I resold one of them for $200. All in all I have gained 4 scopes for $200 total. One is a $600 13.1" reflector.
    You just have to know what you're doing.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Latest moron is seller who doesn't check their email, including spam folder. A couple times, I have requested info on item, only to hear back from seller after item had sold. They were going thru their spam folder and found my requests. One had trashed item because of "no replies." Replies had been directed to their spam box, instead of in box.