Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Craigs List morons

I am still getting calls about a travel trailer I sold over a month ago. They get mad at me and say it is still listed, but I deleted it as soon as it was sold.

Happened again yesterday, and I rechecked for the second time, and it does not come up for me, and my account shows it deleted.

Go figure.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I am still getting calls about a travel trailer I sold over a month ago. They get mad at me and say it is still listed, but I deleted it as soon as it was sold.

Happened again yesterday, and I rechecked for the second time, and it does not come up for me, and my account shows it deleted.

Go figure.
    Sometimes the third-party search systems will cache old data and "forget" to remove it. If I find something using those, I always go to the page on CL itself and refresh it. A friend wrote and used to run a CL scraper site, and he said it was actually hard to detect CL deletions.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    The same reason I have to put this in every ad, lazy morons.

If the ad is up, I still have it. I will ignore "do you still have it" e-mails.
    People ask if you still have the item because so many never delete an item when it sells. I bought a lawn mower from someone and it was still on CL two or three days later.

I generally only ask if something is still available if it has been up for over 30 days. Many times it seems unbelievable the item hadn't sold already.

I got a chuckle from our local CL today. "For sale, tool box fool of tools"
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

LOL! The best part on the drill press is that it's priced for "just need it gone." Seems to simply have an extra zero in it.

I recently sold my Jet/Performaxx 22-44 for $1100. It seemed fair, as it took about a week to sell but the buyer seemed very happy with the deal.

The same reason I have to put this in every ad, lazy morons.

If the ad is up, I still have it. I will ignore "do you still have it" e-mails.

I have always wondered why sellers will post "I will ignore "do you still have it" e-mails"
    Why is that question so bothersome? I see it just as a way to introduce yourself to the seller. Kinda a "hello" or "how you doing"
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

First, I don't care what it sells for new, the one they are selling is USED!. Right now around here it's generators (hurricane Florence.) "NIB with a full tank of gas." How did they get gas into tank with it still in the box? "New, only ran it for a couple hours," which means it's no longer new.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I have always wondered why sellers will post "I will ignore "do you still have it" e-mails"
    Why is that question so bothersome? I see it just as a way to introduce yourself to the seller. Kinda a "hello" or "how you doing"
    At best, it's just a waste of time. I don't need an intro, just tell me when you want to come get it. It's super-simple since I work from home. Most people seem to like it, as most of the time it will be something like "Can I pick it up between 2 and 3pm tomorrow?" Perfect. No screwing around with price or "do you still have it?"

Most people who say "do you still have it" either never follow up again, or they will actually ask why I didn't make them an offer for less money. I guess they are expecting something like "Still have it, will let it go for $X" which is less than advertised. I don't haggle. The price is the price. Buy it or don't.

Basically, I've been doing it long enough to spot the patterns that predict a bad buyer, and avoid them.

The price is the price. Buy it or don't.

Basically, I've been doing it long enough to spot the patterns that predict a bad buyer, and avoid them.
    Yes, If they want to offer less, they won't be buying it from me period. If I decide it isn't selling, then I will lower the price in the ad.

I recently did some rough calculations on a long term customer in one of my businesses. He always wanted to negotiate a better price and didn't have the money to do all work recommended. I originally guessed that it had cost him double what it costs a good customer that trusted us to do what was required and pay the invoice. I was WAY low with my guess. This is over 37 years BTW. Now that I don't have a sales staff that is willing to take the time with him, he is going to have to pay much more. Being cheap is very expensive.

We proudly charge all of our customers the same price, period. No haggling. We refer customers to each other all the time, and if nothing else, wouldn't want one getting pissed. There are discounts for quantity, but that's also applied evenly to everyone. The only negotiable discount is when a large customer promises to pay net 10.

Back when I was doing consulting, I had clients like yours. They'd nickel and dime themselves. It was crazy. "Let's 'fix' this with cheap junk and minimal services twice a year." Meanwhile my smart customers would give me $25k, ask for a five-year fix, and be done. The others ended up paying 2-4x in five years.

today my craigslist has blut cutters for sale. I was expecting blunt cutters with all the pot equipment being sold at harvest time but it was bolt cutters.
    Bill D.

Darn...and I really had a need to cut me some bluts....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Darn...and I really had a need to cut me some bluts....
    For those once-a-year cuttings, the blut cutters at Harbor Freight are probably cheaper than the ones on CL.
    But if you really need bluts of a specific length, it's way easier to get the pre-cut ones on Amazon.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 09-21-2018 at 4:50 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by lee deraud View Post
    for those once-a-year cuttings, the blut cutters at harbor freight are probably cheaper than the ones on cl.
    But if you really need bluts of a specific length, it's way easier to the pre-cut ones on amazon.
    roflol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...