Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Craigs List morons

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Doesn't help a bit that there's a city named "Ontario" about 20 miles away...
    I live in Ontario County (NY). In the next county there is an Ontario Town. Talk about confusion. (and of course, 80 miles away there is a province called Ontario)

But after a long career of dealing with nonstandard standards, the idea of that sort of interoperability actually working still strikes me as improbable.
    GV has worked perfectly for probably a decade. We're no longer stuck in the old phone world with interop problems. Stuff just works now.

I'll try to remember that one next time I use CL.

But after a long career of dealing with nonstandard standards, the idea of that sort of interoperability actually working still strikes me as improbable.
    Not sure what you mean. I use GV for my incoming business number and it's been very effective. You can't beat "free" either.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Speaking of CL rants...

I just sold my drum sander, after picking up a deal on a bigger one right here. Listed with firm price, and the owner of the shop where it's going called very excited to buy it. I probably under-priced it, but I figure I'd rather just lose a few bucks than play games or haggle. Nope, the guy gives me the "I drove a full hour here and then have to drive an hour back, can you do a little off...blah blah." I almost threw him out of the shop. I asked him to call his boss and ask how excited he had seemed to get it right away, because he knows it's a great deal. Or if he'd rather go pick up a new one for exactly double the price, and no sanding strips?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Not sure what you mean. I use GV for my incoming business number and it's been very effective. You can't beat "free" either.
    No, it's just that I'm (1) relatively new to smartphones and (2) my experience with stuff from different vendors playing well together has been mixed. So when someone says, "Just grab widget/app from vendor X and plug it into app/widget from vendor Y", my skepticism meter starts twitching.

(Hint: I did a lot of work with VME hardware in my prior life.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

No, it's just that I'm (1) relatively new to smartphones and (2) my experience with stuff from different vendors playing well together has been mixed. So when someone says, "Just grab widget/app from vendor X and plug it into app/widget from vendor Y", my skepticism meter starts twitching.

(Hint: I did a lot of work with VME hardware in my prior life.)
    All the Google Voice stuff happens on the carrier/server side and the apps aren't involved. You can use the GV app, or not, doesn't matter. But all the forwarding and management is on the server, and it works.

Yup. I have the GV app for convenience because texts can also go to a GV number, but it's not required.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    When my wife was looking for a puppy, I wanted to slap some pet "adoption" outfits. They post a picture and give a rosey description and then once you see the animal in person, then they tell you for the first time, that they want a $500 "re-homing fee"
    Of course it is because those are all rip-offs. Anyone who doesn't list the price in the ad doesn't get called. That goes for anything. If you've got something to hide, I've got no reason to call you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    True that.

Then again, I wouldn't mind putting up the phone number if people would respect the 'text only' box instead of calling.
    Without a cell phone how does one send a text? There are still some of us who are not using the latest communications technology.

My fingers don't know how to text…

Nope, the guy gives me the "I drove a full hour here and then have to drive an hour back, can you do a little off...blah blah." I almost threw him out of the shop. I asked him to call his boss and ask how excited he had seemed to get it right away, because he knows it's a great deal. Or if he'd rather go pick up a new one for exactly double the price, and no sanding strips?
    Just curious, did the guy pay with cash? If so did you think he might have been trying to not only put one past you but also his boss?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Without a cell phone how does one send a text? There are still some of us who are not using the latest communications technology.
    For texting, either you can use an app on your phone (and it'll send the text using your Google Voice number and not your cell phone's actual number) or there is a web interface and you can send a text from any computer. I actually use Google Voice for my home phone number. The Google side of things is free, then I bought a small box for $30 (no subscription) that plugs into my cordless phone system. No monthly fees, I get email notifications for missed calls and whatnot-- and most importantly, my folks still pay for long distance, so despite living in CO, I was able to get a NE phone number that is a local call for them. If I lose internet, I lose my home phones, but we mostly just use it to talk to family, so it's not a big deal.

There is always a chance Google could nuke the service and you're out of luck, but I've used it in some form since probably 2009-2010 when I was in Europe until now with minimal issues. For free, there's not a lot to lose.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Without a cell phone how does one send a text?
    From a computer or tablet. If I'm in front of my desktop or laptop, that's where I do all my messaging of course, with a real keyboard. If I have the tablet, I use that. Phone is the last resort. Either way though e-mail seems to sort out the real idiots. And the people I know who sell low-end and scammy junk say "everyone" they deal with uses text. So, myth confirmed, it's for idiots.

Just curious, did the guy pay with cash? If so did you think he might have been trying to not only put one past you but also his boss?

jtk
    Definitely cash, and you have a great point there. I did my best to let him know that the only reason it was that low to start with was so <word I can't say here> would not try to haggle. Don't know. Or maybe his boss said "if you can talk him down we split it." I seriously thought about telling him to just leave, I've done that before.

Seems like a lot of people on the forum object to negotiating price. To me Craigslist is like a flea market or garage sale, negotiating on price is part of the deal. I often offer a little less than asking price, sometimes it's accepted sometimes not. Unless it's an insulting low ball offer no one gets upset. Heck I was in Lee Valley a while back and I was looking at stuff on the reduced table, an employee walked by and said feel free to make an offer on anything your interested in. I picked up a watch and offered $10 less than the discounted price and he said sure with little hesitation. I wouldn't use an excuse like I travelled a long way but if I can point out a flaw or something missing I would use that to bargain. I don't drag it out, I just make an offer if the buyer says no the price is firm I decide if I want it at that price or not and that's it. On the other hand if someone used the long travel line with me I'd probably respond "be a shame to go back empty handed", to me that line puts you in a weaker negotiating position.

I have no problem with negotiating; I've run several businesses and understand it. CL is not that; it's pure haggling. It's some kind of insane game people play that I want zero part of. Negotiating is: "I'll pay you net 5 days in exchange for a 3% gross discount." Just saying "would ya gimme 3% or I'll leave" is not negotiating.

If we don't agree on price, I'm not coming to see the product. If you don't agree with my price, please DO NOT contact me or come see the product.

There are some idiots who will put right in the ad, "No offers if you haven't seen it." Well, goodbye. I'm not driving until I know what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Seems like a lot of people on the forum object to negotiating price.
    I don't object to negotiating. I rarely accept less than my posted price, but they can offer less if they want. What I object to is when they demand a lower price. They knew where they were going when they headed out; if they didn't want to pay my price, they shouldn't have come; but if they do, they shouldn't make demands.

But talk about idiots...
    One guy selling a $500 kayak refused to tell me where it was until I was on the road. WTF!? I've got better things to do then play games.

I posted a want add here for an old bandsaw frame a while back. I was looking for it to make a trade happen with a "local" craigslist dimwit who was trying to part out a really nice Tannewitz to make an english wheel. We go through the negotiations, and he says, how about you get me a Crescent frame, and $500 and you can have the Tanny. Fine, I found a frame and tell him I'll be up to look at the saw the following weekend. This was the week of the 4th, so on Wednesday morning (the 4th), he texts me and says he needs me to pay the cash or he'll have to drop the wheels off at the local Fastenal store for shipping to a buyer in Wisconsin. I said not a chance, reminded him that it was a holiday so the store wasn't open, and that there won't be any cash exchanging hands until I see the saw in person in 3 days. His response was that all the pieces are there, and proceeds to send me several pics, none of which are the table that I'd specifically asked about in a previous conversation. That was the point that I told him that I was no longer interested. I suggest avoiding a guy parting out a Tannewitz on craigslist and OWWM, claiming he's from Blackhawk, SD.