Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Craigs List morons

Part of this idiocy is actually enshrined in the ads and banners for some of these services. I remember seeing a banner for one of the local buy/sell apps that said something like:

It's listed for $500 firm.

Offer $300!
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-26-2018 at 6:19 PM.

I was talking to a friend about this thread and he said that a couple of years ago, he was selling a lawn mower he had listed for $100 firm. It was worth more than that but he just wanted to get rid of it. Some idiot showed up, wanted it and said he only had $70. So my friend closed his garage door and went in the house, leaving this idiot standing in the driveway. People are just dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    I was talking to a friend about this thread and he said that a couple of years ago, he was selling a lawn mower he had listed for $100 firm. It was worth more than that but he just wanted to get rid of it. Some idiot showed up, wanted it and said he only had $70. So my friend closed his garage door and went in the house, leaving this idiot standing in the driveway. People are just dumb.
    That's happened to me twice. There must be a website somewhere with "clever" advice for buying on CL.

One of the guys was a REAL moron. He came out to check out a kayak. I showed him how to get out of it, but he knew better and just pushed his rear up. It capsized immediately, along with his wallet, phone, and car keys. He then offered me less because it was all the money he had.
    Does he win the Moron trophy?

I've done exactly the same thing. I meet buyers by opening one of the garage doors from the inside. Someone did pretty much the same to me for something I seriously under-priced to get it out NOW. But once he started that crap, I told him I'd rather throw it in the burn pile, closed the door. He stood around for a while, probably thinking I'd change my mind or it was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    I was talking to a friend about this thread and he said that a couple of years ago, he was selling a lawn mower he had listed for $100 firm. It was worth more than that but he just wanted to get rid of it. Some idiot showed up, wanted it and said he only had $70.
    My standard response in that case is, "There's an ATM about two blocks up..."
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Seems like a lot of people on the forum object to negotiating price. To me Craigslist is like a flea market or garage sale, negotiating on price is part of the deal. I often offer a little less than asking price, sometimes it's accepted sometimes not. Unless it's an insulting low ball offer no one gets upset. Heck I was in Lee Valley a while back and I was looking at stuff on the reduced table, an employee walked by and said feel free to make an offer on anything your interested in. I picked up a watch and offered $10 less than the discounted price and he said sure with little hesitation. I wouldn't use an excuse like I travelled a long way but if I can point out a flaw or something missing I would use that to bargain. I don't drag it out, I just make an offer if the buyer says no the price is firm I decide if I want it at that price or not and that's it. On the other hand if someone used the long travel line with me I'd probably respond "be a shame to go back empty handed", to me that line puts you in a weaker negotiating position.
    If something is at a "get this thing out of here" price, my tendency is to pay what is asked. If possible, it will get bundled with other items and then maybe a discount will be offered.

When selling something my tendency is to leave a little room for negotiation. Sometimes with real idiots it is best to just say no, or as others have said, close the door and walk away.

If you want to be mean you can say, "three other people have called since your call. They gave me their numbers to call back. Pay the price or go away."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

This week on CL are a couple Kitchen Aid mixers. One for $50, and another for $60. First doesn't cut off, looks like a dog, and has no bowl or beaters. Second looks pretty good (could be a stock photo,) but doesn't have bowl or beaters. Yesterday a COMPLETE Kitchen Aid that was leaking grease, sold for $20. $60 mixer is listed as a commercial mixer, when in fact it is the bottom of the line of home mixers. Apparently seller knows NOTHING about what he is trying to sell. I really love it when they tell me what is sold for new. Who cares, as the one they are selling is USED! I don't care if your grandmother bought when she got married either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    I really love it when they tell me what is sold for new. Who cares, as the one they are selling is USED!
    Sometimes it's relevant. I just sold a heavy-duty chrome wire rack with parts bins on CL, referencing the price from Sam's Club. That's because it had no part number, and they sell three similar-seeming storage racks that vary in price by over $100. All I could do was say "this sells for $160 at Sam's Club."

Blog Entries
    Apparently seller knows NOTHING about what he is trying to sell.
    This is often the case on that auction site where a Stanley/Bailey #4 is called a block plane.

Even more clueless are those selling aparing, firmer mortise chisel. It is if they do not even look at other listings to try and get in the same ballpark.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    This is often the case on that auction site where a Stanley/Bailey #4 is called a block plane.

Even more clueless are those selling aparing, firmer mortise chisel. It is if they do not even look at other listings to try and get in the same ballpark.

jtk
    They use those words to increase the exposure to their ad from searches. They know what they are doing.

I like the ones who misspell the brand name of the tool for sale when they have a picture posted with the name shown in letters 6 inches tall.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I like the ones who misspell the brand name of the tool for sale when they have a picture posted with the name shown in letters 6 inches tall.
    Bill D.
    LOL, those are the best. Especially on eBay where it results in the price being driven down. I try to search for things using a part number, SKU, or UPC for accuracy.

It's like the people who type "I-phone" from the iPhone they are holding. What cave were you in for over a decade to not have seen the word "iPhone?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    This week on CL are a couple Kitchen Aid mixers. One for $50, and another for $60. First doesn't cut off, looks like a dog, and has no bowl or beaters. Second looks pretty good (could be a stock photo,) but doesn't have bowl or beaters. Yesterday a COMPLETE Kitchen Aid that was leaking grease, sold for $20. $60 mixer is listed as a commercial mixer, when in fact it is the bottom of the line of home mixers. Apparently seller knows NOTHING about what he is trying to sell. I really love it when they tell me what is sold for new. Who cares, as the one they are selling is USED! I don't care if your grandmother bought when she got married either.
    I made the same observation over on Facebook about people who insist on giving a sob story about why they are selling things. I don't care if your dog is sick. I don't care if you had a car accident. Your sob stories aren't going to get anyone to pay more than what you're selling is worse.

My last three inquiries were answered with “oh I sold that a week ago”. Then why am I still seeing it on my searches nimrod?

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    We had a guy locally that listed a Delta dust collector for $50. Claimed he just didn't have the room for it any more. I emailed him stating I would buy it but didn't get an answer. I tried again the next day and still no answer. I figured that he was just too lazy or sorry to take down the post for an item that was already sold. So.....

I emailed him every day after that asking if it was still available. After about 3 days of that he finally deleted the CL posting. Good for him as I was prepared to email him every day until he deleted it no matter how long it took. I was a programmer before I retired and I could have automated the whole emailing process so that I didn't have to do anything to send the emails but start up the process and let it run for as long as it took.

I hate it when people don't remove the ads for things that have sold.

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    My last three inquiries were answered with “oh I sold that a week ago”. Then why am I still seeing it on my searches nimrod?
    The same reason I have to put this in every ad, lazy morons.

If the ad is up, I still have it. I will ignore "do you still have it" e-mails.