Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Craigs List morons

Craigs List morons

Maine is 350 miles from end to end. It's closer to NYC from Southern Maine than it is to Northern Maine. We have one craigs list for the whole state.

Moron group 1: Post everything without indication which city, town or county you're located in. I'll drive 20 or 30 miles for a good deal but if you're in East Overshoe or West Armpit, I don't even want to read your posting.

Moron group 2: "Vintage tools for sale" no further description and fuzzy, dark, gloomy photos taken through dirty glass windows. Sure, I'm going to guess that the blob off center in your artistic composition is just the thing I've been looking for.

Moron group 3: "Tools for sale - too many to list" no photos, no further description. Does anyone with cash EVER respond to these?

Can you tell it's been raining for hours and cabin fever is setting in?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

One that kept appearing around here was, "Antique Hammer", which evidently means it's just some crappy hammer head only with a good coat of rust to recommend it.

Another peeve is the relisting of the same thing over and over and over. I find myself thinking " if nobody is buying your crap, it's either too expensive there's no demand for rusty hammer heads of no particular pedigree or value.

Here, Craigslist has a map showing where the item is - unless the person listing refuses to use it. But a map is the default. It can show exactly where the item is on a particular street, if the person listing wants it to.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

There is an ad on the Washington DC Craigslist for a wood lathe "made" by Rigid. It is the same wood 14 x 40 lathe sold by HF with the rails made from sheet metal box rails. The guy relists the lathe every other day for 3 years at (IIRC ) $400. The other winner I like is the local guy that sells small hand tools for $5.00 each. There are all the freebies that you get with a purchase at Harbor Freight. The descriptions sometimes are just out there, for instance a "genuine copy" In "excellent non-running condition" Or it "ran when I parked it there 23 years ago."

If you use the "miles from (your) zip code" search feature it can help weed out listings that are too far away from you. It's not perfect, but it helps. The bundle duplicates option is handy as well.

We had one a couple of months ago for a craftsman contractor saw that the top was nothing but rust and the motor bracket was broken with the motor laying on the top of the saw. The moron wanted $300 for it.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Currently here on CL are two Kitchen Aid mixers, same model. One won't cut off, has no bowl, or beaters. Looks like the dogs drug it up. Price $50. Next is complete with bowl and beaters, in excellent shape, plus it runs. Price $75. Which do you think is an idiot. Anybody who buys the first is an idiot.

I always like the ones where they post something for sale and don't even take the time to clear the trash sitting on top of it.

Another favorite is autos for sale.
    "Low miles" turns out it has 135,000 miles.
    "EXCELLENT CONDITION" just needs new starter and transmission could use a flush and filter. (AKA transmission slipping)

Boat for sale.
    "No title but are easy to get" If it's so easy then why don't you get it first?

I belong to a "Yard sale" Facebook group for our county. 1) All items are local. 2) You see the name of the person selling 3) you can ask or see questions by others to the seller. All this, in my opinion, keeps most of the scams off there.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Moron Group #4 are those that post an item, don't give a contact phone number so the only way to contact them is thru email and then never respond to their email. I sometimes think Moron group #3 may just be fishing for phone numbers and email addresses.
    Despite all this, if it wasn't for Craigslist I wouldn't have a lot of the tools in my shop including several that were free.

I dislike the ones who are selling an item with no descripton and no picture. Today there was another reposting for the "little buddy" He is still askign $500 for it. I have no idea what it is but it is the tool section so assume it is a tool of some kind.
    Bill D

Around here, people advertise HF junk all the time for the retail price of name brand tools (Bosch, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita ,,etc).
    Then there's the idea that anything with rust is "vintage" or "antique".

The ones that bug me the most though are the ones that are selling some overprice, nonworking junk for ten times what it could possible be worth and have the nerve to say "NO LOWBALLERS!".
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

A guy here has been posting a kayak for 2 years (that I have noticed) for $750. A bit high, but then he mentions that the previous owner beat it up badly on rocks and he has sanded it down so it is smooth.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    A guy here has been posting a kayak for 2 years (that I have noticed) for $750. A bit high, but then he mentions that the previous owner beat it up badly on rocks and he has sanded it down so it is smooth.
    So the buyer has to pay for the labor?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

There is one guy here who has a bunch of surplus construction materials. He's listed each piece individually at retail price and has renewed them every other day for the last year or so. He must have 100 listings and he basically renders the entire materials section unusable.

Naturally there's only an e-mail address listed, I guess he must have gotten a few complaints..

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Moron Group #4 are those that post an item, don't give a contact phone number so the only way to contact them is thru email and then never respond to their email. I sometimes think Moron group #3 may just be fishing for phone numbers and email addresses.
    Despite all this, if it wasn't for Craigslist I wouldn't have a lot of the tools in my shop including several that were free.
    I absolutely would never post a phone number on CL, and will never call someone who doesn't give an e-mail address. If you can't communicate intelligently by e-mail, I don't want to deal with you. Every single "must call" has resulted in idiots wasting my time. You'll get my number when we have a deal and specific time to meet. But then, I do answer my e-mails.

"No title but are easy to get" If it's so easy then why don't you get it first?
    Or "just needs a battery to run perfectly!"

Ok, how about you put a battery in it, and I'll show up with your asking price, the cost of the battery, and $20 for your time?

They always say no. Huh.