Thread: Simple Garage Cabinet Plans?

Simple Garage Cabinet Plans?

I’m afraid this question might be way too broad, but here goes. Can somebody recommend plans for a tall cabinet for a new hand tool woodworker (about 1 year experience). This cabinet is for my garage. Nothing too fancy but I would like it to be a good learning experience. Depth is maybe 12-18 inches. So pretty narrow because I have limited space. I’ll be using it to store random garage stuff, e.g. paint, lawn chemicals, cans of stuff, etc.

If not plans exactly, then maybe point me in the right direction? In case this matters I’ve done a little dovetailing and a little mortise and tenon work and some dado stuff.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Terndrup View Post
    I’m afraid this question might be way too broad, but here goes. Can somebody recommend plans for a tall cabinet for a new hand tool woodworker (about 1 year experience). This cabinet is for my garage. Nothing too fancy but I would like it to be a good learning experience. Depth is maybe 12-18 inches. So pretty narrow because I have limited space. I’ll be using it to store random garage stuff, e.g. paint, lawn chemicals, cans of stuff, etc.

If not plans exactly, then maybe point me in the right direction? In case this matters I’ve done a little dovetailing and a little mortise and tenon work and some dado stuff.

Thanks!!
    Do you want doors? And how deep?

I tend to build cabinets for garage and shop simply, 100% for function rather than looks - 3/4" plywood for strength, 3/8" dados to hold shelves, 1/4" or 3/8" plywood on the back, screws and glue. If the shelves will hold very heavy things I have put in central vertical supports, also in dados. A strip of solid wood to hide the edges of the plywood if I'm feeling fancy. Simple face frame glued and screwed for the hinges if I want doors. If the cabinets are shallow I often used 1x12 shelving pine from the big box store for the case and shelves.

But if this is for a "good learning experience" my methods wouldn't help. Nothing classier than a dovetailed cherry cabinet with raised panel doors for the garage!

JKJ

Seth,

One idea I would suggest is to build a hanging tool cabinet for your hand tools.

Then add a section of countertop and underneath that you can add some drawers.

I recommend a separate metal storage cabinet for paint, chemicals, etc.

There are lots of plans out there but it really depends on what type of tools you have.

Here's what I've got for an example

Tool Cabinet:

ToolCabFin2.jpg

Here's the worktop and drawers I can add more drawers if needed.

ShopDrawer2.jpg

I suggest you find a library and peruse their back copies of Woodsmith magazine. They frequently have plans for cabinets like you want that include cut lists and detailed instructions.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m going back and forth between buying and building. I’m trying to get my shop set up in a reasonable time frame and I’m doing all kinds of garage/shop organization projects (including building a new bench).

I kind of figured the answer would be to do some research, but I thought by chance someone might say “I have the the perfect plan!”

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    One idea I would suggest is to build a hanging tool cabinet for your hand tools.

Here's what I've got for an example

Tool Cabinet:

ToolCabFin2.jpg
    I like your tool cabinet. What lurks behind the panel with squares? Is this your design, or did you find the plans elsewhere?

My latest care package from Lee Valley included a catalog of plans available for sale. One of them was the Tool Cabinet plan for $20. It's a bit overkill for what I want, as I don't need the base unit, but the tool cabinet might fit in my shop.

I also, like you, I learn by doing projects for workshop. I also wanted a plan for my first project. For me it was simply not clear how much thickness is enough and what wood to use and most importantly what joints to use. When facing such problem, to have a plan would solve a lot. But no plan was good for me because I always enjoyed to design and to invent my own construction and features that would suit particular function (that's why I also want to build them). So, my first low assembly table on casters was "slightly" overkill. It was supposed to have middle retractable legs. Turned out that it can carry 500 lbs and still not sag in the middle or flex anywhere without middle legs. Since then I applied the same design for two stands for benchtop machines that are also heavy. So, somehow it has to be strong enough and for beginner it is not obvious how to assess that.

Some understanding came later. Basically, it is better to follow some known designs, to copy something. There is a very good book also about joints and construction for every type of furniture - Illustrated Cabinetmaking: How to Design and Construct Furniture That Works. That gives some sense of what is strong enough and how to hold it together. Alternative to copying is to make prototypes, often from cheaper and softer wood, that is very very useful and really should not be neglected and done more often then it might seem.

Anyway, talking about wall cabinet, anything from 3/4" thick material would be strong enough. It takes more knowledge and skill to make it less and in places that would not compromise strength. While sides, top and bottom are somewhat obvious, interesting part is the back side. Back side gives it strength and also can be used to fasten it to the wall. And you have to think about wood movement there as well. Some people suggested plywood back. It can be glued or nailed because plywood is stable and doesn't move. Also can be just two narrow boards on left and right side glued to the sides (or cross pieces near the top and bottom), leaving most of the middle of the back absent. Or can be filled with boards with gaps (usually with groove and tong between them) and not glued together. Like in the video "Build a Hand-Crafted Bookcase" with Christopher Schwarz (https://videos.popularwoodworking.co...topher-schwarz).

I actually in the process of building my first tool cabinet myself. I started last year but then was doing other projects and now going back to it. It is for hand planes mainly and at the moment it looks like this: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TuqsH4CjxC0TauJz2 It has back from 3/4" panels as well, with tong and groove (and with beeding that will be done soon). With two french clits that glued and pinned to sides and to the back boards. It makes it heavy but it also supposed to carry at least 60kg of metal hand planes and other stuff. Will probably carry 200kg but I will probably make heavy doors as well.

DSC_0850.jpg
    Last edited by Andrey Kharitonkin; 07-19-2018 at 2:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    When I built cabinets in my garage, I used the plans from the New Yankee Workshop. Granted, they use plywood and power tools, but it's shop cabinets, after all.

Mike