Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How To Refresh Tite Bond Glue?

Quote Originally Posted by David Wiper View Post
    Buy a glue-bot, and keep the glue. It is air tight, and easy to use.
    Wow...bought a Glue Bot a couple of years ago. Used it for while, but recently I went to use it again and the glue had started to go bad in some places. I tried to clean it out, but with all the nooks and crannies, it was tough, so I think it's toast. I couldn't think of a good way to get it cleaned out well.

All this talk about throw it away, it's garbage, crosslinking, the paperwork says it's bad... What I really want to see now is a strength test between a new bottle and the old garbage. If its joints are no longer stronger than the wood itself, then that's something to consider.

The biggest mistake that I have made as a woodworker (and there have been many, many other ones) was to grab a bottle of glue that I had had for no one knows how long to glue the edge joints of a dresser top that I completed a few years back. One of the 2 glue joints has failed. Being G&G style, the top has a breadboard end with plugs and expansion joint inserts so the only thing I can think of as a repair is replace the entire top. Could recycle some of the existing top at least.

I now place a date on each of my new glue bottles and never hesitate to throw them away after a year has passed.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post

Secondly, all polymer glues have a shelf life including epoxy. Information like this is found on product data sheets which should always be studied for every product used. Cheers

You are wrong about epoxy; well, West Systems anyhow.
    I had some 8 year old epoxy and contacted them about the shelf life. They said it was good forever.
    That was 7 years ago; I am still using it and it is still good. Dark brown, but still good. (I figure the dark brown will prevent UV damage.)

Listened to a talk a couple months ago by a Tite Bond rep. He said if it is getting stringy and thick, pitch it. As others have said, it is 'linking'.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    You are wrong about epoxy; well, West Systems anyhow.
    I had some 8 year old epoxy and contacted them about the shelf life. They said it was good forever.
    That was 7 years ago; I am still using it and it is still good. Dark brown, but still good. (I figure the dark brown will prevent UV damage.)
    Sorry but this is incorrect. All epoxies have a shelf life beyond which the manufacturer will not guarantee the results. It is not forever. Sure, the user may get away with it but that's just what it is - getting away with it. I work with a wide range of epoxies every day of the week. All of them are shelf life limited. And no, the colour change won't help with UV stability. It's just a sign it has gone over. Cheers

I have a 20+ year old bottle of TB1 I unearthed a while ago... every year or so I add an ounce or two of water and massage the crosslinked mers back appart. Mind you, it's always been stored 60-80degF. I use it for non critical panel laminations, sizing, etc. Been a while, I should probably go check on it.

I just tossed a bottle of System3 T-88. One of the two bottles - don't recall which one - was fine if a little thick. The other bottle seemed solid. They were purchased in 2012 so pretty good shelf life I guess but not infinite. I imagine that not all epoxies are created equal either.