Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How To Refresh Tite Bond Glue?

How To Refresh Tite Bond Glue?

So a few years back, I bought a gallon of Tite Bond Glue. I'm about half way down now and the glue is getting almost too thick to poor. Is there a recommended way to refresh what I've got left or should I toss the whole thing?

The manufacturer says you can add 5% of water to it without too much ill effect. That said, the strength may still be compromised. Obviously do a strength test before using it on a project of any importance. After you add the water, put it in the fridge. Use it as quick as you can. I believe the manufacturer and others state that the shelf life is a year. While that isn't true, it certainly doesn't last forever.

Personally, I would toss it. Compared to the time and effort I spend on a project fresh glue is really cheap.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Good solid comments. But the glue is only cheap in quantity. Five percent makes a very thin glue ,but 4 or 5 percent water has a good place in laminating. I would thin in a little and use it. I strain it into another container,and toss the old one.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 07-16-2018 at 3:42 PM.

Time to get rid of it and buy a new lot. It's way past the shelf life and won't perform in the long term. Cheers

Don’t throw it out save it for non critical things like a one time fixture or jig. Go add water I do it for laminated glue ups thinner glue spreads faster with a roller.
    Ive tested many times and the bond is good and glue lines are smaller.
    Aj

Ya...I think I won’t buy gallons anymore, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Or find someone to share it with.

I did that....once....

Seriously, I'd only buy a gallon if I had a major project that I knew it was going to get used up on. I'd rather pay a little more for the 16oz bottles because I know it will always be fresh with my general usage rate.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I did that....once....

Seriously, I'd only buy a gallon if I had a major project that I knew it was going to get used up on. I'd rather pay a little more for the 16oz bottles because I know it will always be fresh with my general usage rate.
    +1 Smaller bottles mean you'll have fresh stuff when you need it.

Clint

Would storing the bottle upside-down help preserve it? Don't ask me why it would, but I've heard this before.

Don't the bottles say the shelf life is 24 months ?

I know it's listed as such in the properties sheet.

Would storing the bottle upside-down help preserve it? Don't ask me why it would, but I've heard this before.
    Probably not, as it would have just as much air inside a partially used bottle on top as on bottom flipped over. In addition, while not porous enough to leak glue, the plastic bottles not totally air tight and will "seep" a bit of air in/out over time, albeit small amounts.
    I use a few gallons of Titebond 2 per year, and it will last fine overwinter if kept from freezing and reasonably airtight. I've even had some that got frozen that thawed and worked fine, but nothing I'm doing with it is "fine" woodworking. 2 years is pushing it.
    Your own mileage may vary.

That was my thought

Is there a recommended way to refresh what I've got left or should I toss the whole thing?
    Dumpster. Glue is cheap