Thread: Salad bowl finish

Salad bowl finish

New here so go easy....have read zillions of posts on finishing salad bowls and will go with walnut oil and probably a wax overcoat but still not clear as to advisability of something before the walnut oil. Is there anything to be gained by using a sanding sealer before the last sanding? I have read lots but can’t figure out if this is a good thing or a waste of time.. if the answer is to use the sealer, what is consensus recommendation as to type or brand?
    thanks in advance for advice
    jeff

The walnut oil (not my fav.) is a penetrating finish--any sealer is designed to prevent this from happening. SS is designed to prevent a piece from absorbing too much lacquer--one coat of SS is equal to 5 coats of lacquer in sealing the wood and is great for this purpose. It is also very soft and sands down to help fill pores--all this prevents oil from it,s purpose.

Thank you- makes a lot of sense....if I might ask, what is your fav?
    jeff

I use pure tung oil for all my food prep items. Its not an instant finish though it can take from a couple weeks to a month for it to cure. Once cured i buff with bealls buffs.

Like Chris tung oil is the best followed by Watco oil. Find pure tung oil and cut it 4 to one with paint thinner and it cure fairly fast--very durable and resists darkening very well.

Could you finish with just bees wax. I have finished non food bowls that way and like it, I am sure it would be food safe, not sure how well it would protect though.

I use a blend of bees wax and mineral oil for anything that makes contact with food. Heat the oil a bit, melt in the bees wax and pour it in a jar. When cool enough to handle, wipe it on and let it soak for a while. Wipe of the excess and you're done. Keep the jar of mix handy to refresh the finish when it no longer beads water on the surface.

Mineral oil is a non-drying oil that will not go rancid like a vegetable or nut oil and the bees wax helps protect the wood. You could even start with a good soaking in straight mineral oil and add the blend coat later.

The Doctor's Woodshop walnut oil, which has carnuba wax in it. Bees wax is too soft, and you can see finger prints.

robo hippy

Bees wax just makes a film on the surface. Tung oil soaks into the wood and when cured hardens the wood. My last step of buffing is with bealls carnuba wax.