Thread: Delta DJ-20 jointer

Blog Entries

Delta DJ-20 jointer

F0104646-4382-4D8F-8F5D-8C9B511F6150.jpg

I want to buy this jointer, how much? Where I am, there are no jointers for sale. Thanks

Looks rode hard and literally put away wet. It will take little work. If nothing is broken and the tables are flat then I would probably give $500 max. I am not sure how that translates to your area.

I'm not sure what you're asking. The specific pictured jointer looks like a terrifying mess -- heavily used, and not well-maintained. I would not buy it at any price. I've seen used DJ-20 jointers in good shape at prices from $800 to $1500. There are also 8" jointers from other makers which are perfectly solid machines. For instance, there's a good looking used Steel City one near me for $800.

I'd go with what Jamie said. This jointer looks like it's been used very hard and left out in the elements. If you need parts I'm not sure they would be easy to find. Be patient and look elsewhere around your area. It will probably help if you're willing to make a longish drive to get the right machine. A lot of us have been in that boat. You'll find a good one. Just keep looking.

Ok I will play devils advocate here. How much work are you willing to do before you use this machine ? I bought one that was rustier than this one,intending to use it for parts. When I got home I began to clean it up,guess what with a bunch of elbow grease and some determination it cleaned right up.Paint it and go. I would not do this unless you get it cheap <300. If the tables are flat and the fence and guard and everything else is there then by all means go for it. If you need to 'plug and play this is probably not your machine. However if your budget is thin and this is the only jointer around where you live I believe you could clean it up and adjust it and have a good machine. Mike.

Pictures don't always tell the whole story. No, it doesn't look great in that blurry unfocused photo, but I wouldn't go as far as some of the others in attempting to assess it's condition by a garbage picture alone. You need to look the machine over well and see what its true condition is then make an offer based on that. Ive seen people misjudge equipment in a bad photo too many times to be sucked into that one!

As far as "how much?"... doesn't matter what it's worth to me as there's always another one to come along in my area. If your truly in an area that has no equipment for sale, you'll have a very different system of "worth" and have to negotiate with that in mind

good luck,
    JeffD

Blog Entries
    And of course, it’s a dj-20. Autocorrect..

Blog Entries
    I’m pretty much out of the running for this. Seller wants way more than I can spare, but fair enough, not much used jointers for sale on the island.

I don't know what you make, so I am hesitant to share this, but I am a furniture maker and a turner. I have used a 6 inch delta for over 30 yrs. I got tired of sharpening and setting the blades. When I saw the cutech 8 inch benchtop, I read all about it and bought one. Carbide head gives glass smooth surfaces. pretty quiet for a universal motor and with the extensions, the bed is longer than my old delta. Does it have the power of the delta? Nope, but I'm not in a hurry ..I'll tke a few more passes. It is the top of the line from cutech and was 469.00 free ship. You might look into it, unless you are jointing huge heavy items, or very long pieces. The jointer comes UPS in case getting a big machine on an island is an issue. hope this helps,
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Blog Entries
    I would pass at any price. Looks beat and parts will be hard to come by if required. Save your pennies. A jointer is not an incidental tool for me. It establishes the reference surface from which all other work is done. How long have you been looking? Save x-amount of dollars every month and buy when you are ready. I saved for 18 months to buy my second, and probably last, jointer. Seems like a long time but, I don't even remember it now. I used a planer sled till I was ready to buy.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

This jointer looks pretty beaten up but it can be hard to tell if it's just cosmetic or if it's structural. Grizzly's G0490 is a clone of the DJ-20 so parts may be very available. But also remember a brand new G0490 which has a 3 vs. a 1 1/2 HP motor is a little over a grand. I'd keep my offer to a few hundred bucks at most.

The jointer does look to be ridden hard and put away wet but I also prefer a jointer with flat tables that needs sctchbrite cleanup to a new one I can't verify is flat. The DJ20 and comparable new jointers are hit and miss in terms of tolerences. If you can put a straightedge on it and see nothing out of whack more than .002-.005 for each table, I'd consider it for undeer $500. If the feeler gauges show more variation, I'd pass. I have little confidence a new jointer will automatically have tables ground to <.005. Dave

Blog Entries
    When it comes to used tools I go for the cream puffs. Works best for me.

PHM

As long as the beds are flat and not pitted it should clean up nicely. I just sold a DJ-20 for $350 (ad might still be up in the classified section) in about the same condition. I had people wanting to drive from 6 -10 hours out to pick it up. I put some work into cleaning up the beds and fence though.