Thread: Woodworking “right of passage”

Blog Entries

Woodworking “right of passage”

I’ve watched several YouTube videos that describe a certain project as a woodworking right of passage: mallet, cutting board, workbench.

I made a mallet this weekend with Ohio and mango wood. It was made from left overs from other projects. The photo’s aren’t the best, maybe some better ones tomorrow.

it was built with power tools and hand tools. So it felt like a right of passage to me. What do you all consider your “right of passage?”

9E4FA9E2-8869-4122-A515-E730F252B021.jpg588D4204-72E5-4C36-9CB3-BE41343255A1.jpg

Hmm...I think you are getting this woodworking thing pretty well! Very nice work! And I can tell you that having one or more mallets of various types is a good idea for any shop. The right tool for the job thing and all!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks good Zac.

I need to build one but I keep putting it off.

After about 10:00 AM it gets too hot then most days it rains in the afternoon so shop time would be limited even if my back was cooperating with me.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Blog Entries
    Thank you.

I like it.

Y'all may laugh at me for this, but....what do y'all really use these cool looking mallets for ?
    I have a rubber one that I use on occasion, I would be scared that one built out of wood would put dents in what ever I was striking.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Hinton View Post
    I like it.

Y'all may laugh at me for this, but....what do y'all really use these cool looking mallets for ?
    I have a rubber one that I use on occasion, I would be scared that one built out of wood would put dents in what ever I was striking.
    Mallets (of various kinds) are used for a variety of roles, in the shop...with chisels and other blades, setting hold-fasts, etc. And yes, you can damage wood with them, but using the correct type helps to avoid that. Using a piece of scrap wood when doing the "alignment thing" also helps.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This post is largely irrelevant but the phrase is actually "rite of passage" instead of "right of passage". A rite is a ritual.

I like the mallet but I'm a Buckeye and I never heard of Ohio wood.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Looks great, Zac! There's something about a nice looking tool that makes you want to use it. Now what project will that fine hammer be used on first? Hmmmmm..
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Charlie, some mallets have a leather face to help reduce the risk of damaging the object that is being struck.

I really like the beautiful mallets and think about building one for a project every time I see someone post a new one.
    If I did a really good job on it I really doubt I would want to hit anything with it .... LOL

I don’t think of it as a specific project, but certain skills. Most notable are M&T joint, dovetails, first drawer, sharpening and using a hand saw, veneer/inlay/banding/stringing, a few different finish schedules, and edge tool sharpening. Set up and using different hand tools also comes to mind. And I can’t exclude becomeing pretty good at fixing mistakes

Good call making a mallet early on . Once I started making stuff I bought a beech mallet and use it a lot. But I'm always bummed I haven't made my own personal one yet. Nice Job!