Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grinding Steel Dust Free?

Grinding Steel Dust Free?

I’ve been inculcating metal fabrication into my woodworking projects recently. Specifically making stands and legs out of metal, to clean up the welds I’ve been using an angle grinder.

It creates a ton of hazardous metal dust, and I would like to work outside, but due to certain circumstances that is not possible to work outdoors, so I need to be able to grind allot of Steel in an inclosed Small Garrage, I have a Festool CT and a traditional dust collector, are there any angle grinders with good dust collection? Can I use my Festool CT with them? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.
    Last edited by Bill Dindner; 07-16-2018 at 6:39 AM.

Have a look at this Festool sander.

Please DON'T use an angle grinder with dust collection. You are feeding sparks directly into a dusty environment with a forced air flow. This is a fire waiting to happen. Wear a P2 dust respirator, and have good general air flow. Use any common pedestal fan for this. Use it when welding especially. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Bohdan Drozdowskyj View Post
    Have a look at this Festool sander.
    This looks to be good maybe for a final surface prep, or to remove some surface rust, but I don’t think it can grind any significant amount of steel, plus you can’t use cut off wheels, grinding disks, am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    Please DON'T use an angle grinder with dust collection. You are feeding sparks directly into a dusty environment with a forced air flow. This is a fire waiting to happen. Wear a P2 dust respirator, and have good general air flow. Use any common pedestal fan for this. Use it when welding especially. Cheers

I always wear a respirator in the shop, have a fan going along with an overhead air filter as well. But my grinder makes a real mess, the metal dust gets on everything. Wish there was a grinder setup that I could use with a vacuum, even if I had to purchase a new vacuum for it.

It's difficult using the same shop for both timber and steel work. It better to have some form of separation between the two. If you don't have space, separate the tasks so you minimise clean up.

Working with steel is always dirty. You would think my cnc shop at work would stay spotless as everything is machined with coolant. It doesn't. Every machine has a broom and shovel so that we can keep slightly ahead of the dust and dirt.

By the way, full marks for the use of other materials it timber and doing it yourself. Cheers

I have a dedicated grinding/welding workbench enclosed on all but one side with fire retardant material. I also drape harbor freight welding blankets behind to keep any sparks from hitting the woodworking part of my small garage shop. This keeps most of the large sparks contained and a fan blows most of the fine dust out.

At work I have expiimented with diamond grinding and cut off wheels to reduce dust. If you are grinding with the right technique, most of your sparks are large enough so they will drop out of the air and not float around. Put a diamond wheel on that and you are not contributing as much dust from the constantly shrinking abrasive wheel.

We have "dust arrestor" pickup hoods at work for grinding. I can't imagine they would be any where close to affordable for an individual. They're big $$$$, made of 100% stainless steel, and have all kinds of safety features to them.
    If the welds aren't too bad, a nice sharp mill file will knock them down. Time consuming though.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Die grinder with carbide bits. Noisy, takes good cfm and good bits can be pricy but no caborundum dust,

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan J Carpenter View Post
    I have a dedicated grinding/welding workbench enclosed on all but one side with fire retardant material. I also drape harbor freight welding blankets behind to keep any sparks from hitting the woodworking part of my small garage shop. This keeps most of the large sparks contained and a fan blows most of the fine dust out.

At work I have expiimented with diamond grinding and cut off wheels to reduce dust. If you are grinding with the right technique, most of your sparks are large enough so they will drop out of the air and not float around. Put a diamond wheel on that and you are not contributing as much dust from the constantly shrinking abrasive wheel.
    Would like to see a pic of the setup, maybe I can fassion a small "booth, that I can take down when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    We have "dust arrestor" pickup hoods at work for grinding. I can't imagine they would be any where close to affordable for an individual. They're big $$$$, made of 100% stainless steel, and have all kinds of safety features to them.
    If the welds aren't too bad, a nice sharp mill file will knock them down. Time consuming though.
    Cool item, but looks to be only intended for an industrial enviroments

Quote Originally Posted by John C Bush View Post
    Die grinder with carbide bits. Noisy, takes good cfm and good bits can be pricy but no caborundum dust,
    I have a die grinder, any way to hook up dust collection? or is it just to not have the abrasives floating about?

Your problem is similar to spraying paint. Look at the temporary paint booths people set up. Maybe post in the finishing forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Your problem is similar to spraying paint. Look at the temporary paint booths people set up. Maybe post in the finishing forum.
    Thats a good idea, wish there was a fireproof collapsible grinding booth.

Welding screens are made of plastic. You should be able to make something that rolls up.

Blog Entries
    similiar issues. I'm thinking of getting welding drapes I can hang up and open and close as needed. See what McMasters and Carr sell.

Blog Entries
    I'm about to take a 200 pound chunk of 5/8" thick 316 stainless steel and shape it like an airplane wing (foil shape) for a centerboard for a boat. I have the same concerns. I have a space outside where I can do mine. Indoors would be a lot of mess. I agree with the person who said do not use dust collection with an angle grinder. Hot metal and sparks, mixed with high volume airflow is asking for a fire. I am going to use a 3M full face mask respirator, which protects my face and ensures I'm not breathing anything in. Since I'm doing my work outside, I don't have as much issue as you do. I wish I had better news. I think this is one that's just messy no matter what. All you can do is use drop cloths and curtains to minimize where the dust goes, and wear a really good respirator.