Thread: Pre-WWII Marples Chisels

Pre-WWII Marples Chisels

For awhile I've chased pre-WWII Marples chisels both here in the states and U.K.. That quest may be over. I've a full set of Boxwood handled firmer chisels, a near full set of Boxwood handled paring/pattern maker chisels and gouges, and today I whipped out the AmEx to pay for 10 beautiful Boxwood handled beveled edge chisels all pre-war.

If I could find a set or individual Marple chisels with Ash London pattern handles either firmer or bevel edge and pre-war I would buy but I feel no need to look. A stumble across would be nice but... I'm not sure why but good chisels with London pattern handles are hard to find.

Photos when they arrive from U.K.

ken

Glad you have fulfilled your quest and, hopefully, more London pattern handled chisels will find their way to you.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Glad you have fulfilled your quest and, hopefully, more London pattern handled chisels will find their way to you.
    Thanks David,

I had almost given up, Lately most of the chisels have been in poor shape and/or the seller didn't post photos of the backs and there have been few sets on the market in any shape. The London pattern have been really rare. I guess it makes sense because the chisels are approaching being 100 years old or older.

ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    For awhile I've chased pre-WWII Marples chisels both here in the states and U.K.. That quest may be over. I've a full set of Boxwood handled firmer chisels, a near full set of Boxwood handled paring/pattern maker chisels and gouges, and today I whipped out the AmEx to pay for 10 beautiful Boxwood handled beveled edge chisels all pre-war.

If I could find a set or individual Marple chisels with Ash London pattern handles either firmer or bevel edge and pre-war I would buy but I feel no need to look. A stumble across would be nice but... I'm not sure why but good chisels with London pattern handles are hard to find.

Photos when they arrive from U.K.

ken
    The chase can be fun in itself, but nothing compares to being able to put the items of ones quest to use in the shop.

Congrats on filling out your accumulation.

May SWMBO make you stop at a yard sale where you find a box full of Ash London pattern handles of both types. And also have the cash on hand to purchase them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The chase can be fun in itself, but nothing compares to being able to put the items of ones quest to use in the shop.

Congrats on filling out your accumulation.

May SWMBO make you stop at a yard sale where you find a box full of Ash London pattern handles of both types. And also have the cash on hand to purchase them.

jtk
    Thanks Jim,

I'm with you. These are not put on the wall and ain't they pretty chisels. Like you and your Buck Bros chisels, these are the best all around user chisels I've found and I wanted a set before they all disappeared into someone's display case.

ken