Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Plank Countertop

Cherry Plank Countertop

Been remodeling our kitchen for several months, built new cabinets and had granite countertops installed on the base units except the island. We wanted to put something special on the island instead of everything granite.
    I purchased 8/4 x6"x 8' RS cherry planks hoping to have a 1-3/4" top when finished. After planning, glue up and final flattening the top was 1-5/8" x 38" x 80". It was sanded from 100 up through the grits to 320. The top has five coats of Waterlox and the underside 3 coats. The final coat was Waterlox Satin. Wet sanded with 600 between each coat, 24 hours drying between coats. After the final coat it was lightly scuffed with 1200 wet to knock off a few nibs. My first countertop, good learning experience, project left a lot cherry sawdust in the shop.

DSC_3104.jpgDSC_3155.jpgDSC_3159.jpgDSC_3161.jpgDSC_3165.jpg

This thing is the "bee's knees"...great work! Make sure you keep some silicone trivets near the cooktop so there's someplace to put anything hot. (DAMHIKT!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. A little known fact about this project, I almost cried when I had to cut that big hole in the top. Now I have a big thick solid cherry cutout leaning against the shop wall that makes me sad every time I walk by. Can't think of anything to build out of it.

..Looks great, julian. The cherry cut-out may make a couple of nice cutting boards or, maybe, fashioned as trivets, as Jim mentioned.

There are lots of things that the cut-out can be used for...don't try to rush the decision on that. The wood will not melt in the meantime.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There are lots of things that the cut-out can be used for...don't try to rush the decision on that.
    That's true. ..And in the meantime it could be used as a cutting board, if desired.

Beautiful love the warm look of cherry. Do you have a vent hood of some sort for the cook top?

'''''''

My favorite finish and my favorite wood! Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by C Scott McDonald View Post
    Beautiful love the warm look of cherry. Do you have a vent hood of some sort for the cook top?
    We built this house 25 years ago and liked the opened look deciding not to install a hood. It has really not be missed, we rarely fry anything inside, once in a while when we fry bacon I wish we had one. However with the a complete kitchen remodel going on we have purchased all new appliances and have a hood on order. I dread getting in the 100 degree attic to install the hood ducting.

Great looking project. Looks fantastic in that setting. I make a fair amount of counters and islands, and i personally wouldnt want wood counters, but they are the only way to go with islands. Warms up the space like nothing else could.

You did seal the bottom with something, right? It will 110% cup if you only sealed the top. That isnt an old wive's tale or anything.

I regret not installing a hood every day of my life. I was 23 and didnt know any better, but the smoke alarm goes off atleast once a week for me.

Id batch out some end grain cutting boards for sure out of that blank. Keep one for yourself, and sell the rest to fund more wood/tools!

Yes, sealed the bottom with 3 coats of Waterlox, 5 coats on the top.

Wow! That is just beautiful, Julian! There's something about cherry that is timeless. Hope everyone at home appreciates all the hard work you put into it.

BTW, with all those tools in your kitchen, it made me feel right at home!
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Smile

Thanks, Julie. When the wife asked for a total kitchen remodel back in January she didn't realize tools would sleeping in the kitchen on and off for many months. Still lack installing recessed lights, vent hood, trim and paint. Oh, and she mentioned something about a cherry entry door to the kitchen would look nice and match the counter top. Like eating an elephant a bite at time, project never ends!

That’s a wonderful cherry top. Let us know how it holds up to the water splash.
    Charlie Jones

Beautiful, bold and courageous. We have a hard maple cap on a pony wall that separates the working side of our island from a table height "breakfast" bar. After 15 years it shows a few scratches. I'd definitely consider turning that range cutout into a sacrificial, semi-permanently set cutting board placed next to the range.
    Attached Images Attached Images