Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contractor table saw to a cabinet saw?

Contractor table saw to a cabinet saw?

Has anyone taken the legs of a contractor table saw and built a cabinet underneath it?

I realize there is still the issue of the motor hanging out the back but a cabinet underneath would at least help contain some of the dust the falls straight down.

I'm not in a position to buy a different saw so looking at ways to improve what I have.
    Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.
    1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

Some sort of enclosure will be helpful. I enclosed the bottom of my 1975 vintage Craftsman table saw and it does help with containment of the sawdust that falls downward.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I did that. I put a drawer in the cabinet into which the sawdust falls. It works just fine and I'd say there's less dust.

I have not done it, but there are ways and plans for closing-up the back where the motor hangs off. I think I saw them in a back issue of WOOD magazine, but you can easily devise your own.

Another idea is a dust bag that hangs underneath your saw like this one. LINK. I can't speak to how well it works but it always looked like a good idea. I noticed this one is out of stock but I've seen other brands.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

If you Googled it, you'd see tons of examples. Some even added a dust port for dust collection. American Woodworker had run an article in one of its old issues. It would help with dust collection a bit.

Simon

Lots of folks have enclosed the bottoms of a Contractors' Style Saw. It can help a bit with dust containment, for example.

Please note that this does not make it a "cabinet saw" because the designation isn't about the base; it's about how and where the trunions are attached to the tool, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My jobsite saw is a delta contractor saw that I built a plywood cabinet under. Think box with a storage drawer on one side and sawdust compartment on the other. I have it on 6'' casters,it works very well on rough terrain outside.I think that if you closed the back where the motor is and put a Sharkguard on that you would get almost all of the dust created. Mike.

I have a "Big gulp" suspended under the top of my Rigid table saw. Between the expanse of the gulp and the 4" port leading to my dust collector, I get very little dust under the saw.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I think what you are describing is very common. I have a direct drive Rockwell Beaver table saw with a cast iron top and the motor directly below the table so I don't have to deal with the motor hanging out the back. I replaced the metal legs with a plywood box and a dust collector connection and storage for blades and accessories. Search "Building a table saw base" on Youtube and you'll see lot's of examples.

there must be 25 videos on Youtube, and many images you can google up
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Blog Entries
    I built a box into the base of my contractor saw with a 4" dust port at the bottom. I connected my dust collector to it. Then I added a sheet of magnetic air vent cover to the front of the saw to cover the arced opening for the tilt. The result was that I get far less dust on my floor. The only problem is if you drop the blade nut or the flange washer I have to disassemble part of the duct work to retrieve them.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have done it, I will post pics in a few days, when im back from vacation. Dust collection is better and it fits into my work station

My uncle had built a box/stand under his saw. He had added 2 wheels at the back that just touched the floor, and a heavy duty handle at floor level on the front of the box. The box had no bottom and sat flat against the floor. He could lift the front of the saw and move it easily on the rear wheels. Whenever it was moved, all of the collected sawdust was in a pile on the floor and could easily be shoveled and broomed into the trash. This was the saw that he took to jobs, so it never contained more than about a week's worth of saw dust before it was moved again.

Charley

Mike

What kind of saw do you have? It doesn't sound as if it has any provisions for dust collection at all.
    I have an older Jet, blue, contractor saw and the dust port is in the bottom of it. To seal the back I have a 1/4" plywood back to seal off the rear of the saw that fits around the motor.
    The biggest improvement came from jamming window insulation around the top of the body where it meets the underside of the table. I also have some magnetic sign material that goes over the slots that the tilt mechanism travels through. The DC pretty much picks up only at the blade insert, and a small section in the rear around the belt and motor frame.
    It's pretty easy to seal up a contractor saw. If you don't use the tilt mechanism on it, which I don't, you could even put the motor inside the box.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Trading legs for a cabinet won't turn it into a cabinet saw, but would help with dust collection.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Keep in mind when sealing openings that you can seal too tightly. Your dust collector can only draw if it has an intake somewhere. I sealed my contractor saw too well and lost some dust collection. I ended up opening a few slots so that there was a better flow into the dust collector intake. I've seen some who drill holes in their zero clearance throat insert, but since that is covered by the board being cut, I can't see how that would work well.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON