Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I took a 30 year old tv antenna down today

My house is only 12 years old and in a dry climate, so removing the TWO (why?) satellite dishes was not a challenge. It never had a regular antenna at all. But now that both delivery methods have been replaced by the internet, I figured I'd remove the eyesore and possibility of wind damage. We get 100 MPH here at least every other year.

Topic cops in off-topic, that's funny right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    My house is only 12 years old and in a dry climate, so removing the TWO (why?) satellite dishes was not a challenge. It never had a regular antenna at all. But now that both delivery methods have been replaced by the internet, I figured I'd remove the eyesore and possibility of wind damage. We get 100 MPH here at least every other year.

Man that is hurricane force winds. I would worry about discs on the roof too. The standard antenna on the roof was all to common back in the day. Many times you saw bent over antennas on peoples houses because of wind damage. We have come a long way and I am sure there are many more innovations awaiting us in the way we view TV.
    John T.

I still need to remove the DirectTV dish that's still up on top of the house as it's been "doing nothing" for many years now. I'll probably leave the mount, however, because I don't want to deal with sealing holes and potential leaks, thereof. One of these days I'll remember to do it. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Back to OT. I guess those bolts weren't made in China, and packaged in Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    Man that is hurricane force winds. I would worry about discs on the roof too. The standard antenna on the roof was all to common back in the day. Many times you saw bent over antennas on peoples houses because of wind damage. We have come a long way and I am sure there are many more innovations awaiting us in the way we view TV.
    Yeah, it gets pretty crazy. Lost a gazebo that had guy wires, and even they didn't do enough. So nobody mounts antennas on the roof around here. They are all either attached to the house on the side, the eaves on a semi-protected side, or to the block walls around the yards. My house had one on the wall (eye sore for people hanging out in the yard) and one on the second floor patio mostly behind its little parapet.

The city just took away the two trampolines that landed in a wash by the road a couple miles into town.

I currently have two dishes, plus a wireless internet antenna on my roof. I use none of them and hope to pull them down next summer when I redo the roof. I do have an actual TV antenna up but it is in attic. I cut the cord about three years and will never go back.

In building my shop I had to have it engineered for 150 mile winds, as that is required by the city. About every 3 - 6 years we get 90 - 110 mph winds that come out of the canyons near me. They take down trees by the hundreds, roofs and siding by the thousands and include a trampoline exchange program too. I keep hoping we get a big wind that takes the shingles off my roof, but not so far.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I still need to remove the DirectTV dish that's still up on top of the house as it's been "doing nothing" for many years now. I'll probably leave the mount, however, because I don't want to deal with sealing holes and potential leaks, thereof. One of these days I'll remember to do it. LOL
    I used the DirecTV dish mount for my OTA antenna. ( no longer having the $110+ per month bill is nice, and I get more of the channels I want )

The satellite dish can be used to pick up a cell phone signal and run to passive booster antennas inside the house or shop.
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by John Stankus View Post
    I used the DirecTV dish mount for my OTA antenna. ( no longer having the $110+ per month bill is nice, and I get more of the channels I want )
    I wanted to do that when I was experimenting with OTA, but it wasn't in the right spot for that. Unfortunately OTA didn't work out because the one station I watch every morning is on a low VHF frequency and line of sight geography just didn't work for getting a usable signal, no matter the amplification or whatever. So I have "Local only" TV via FiOS with no STBs and it's only costing me $13 a month as part of my package.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    The satellite dish can be used to pick up a cell phone signal and run to passive booster antennas inside the house or shop.
    Bil lD.
    True, but with major carriers supporting cellular via WiFi, there's little incentive to use boosters or even microcells or femtocells at this point, at least for folks with decent broadband.
    --