Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tool Chest Beginnings...

Got the lid stop made last night. I used the idea from Schwarz that was posted earlier. I made mine out of some ash instead of metal though. I used a threaded insert on the lid dust seal and one on the top skirt along with a couple of brass thumbscrews. I did another insert down on the bottom skirt so that the rod can be secured to the side of the chest when not in use. I'll be taking the stop back off today to do a little shaping on it to make it look nicer.

20180810_183342.jpg

I'm mostly finished at this point. I have some lifts to install on the sides and then get it painted. It's already working well for me. I got all the tools oiled up earlier this week and removed any existing corrosion. I'm making sure to put everything up when I stop for the day so I don't spend 15 minutes the next day trying to find everything.

Just a thought....
    Find the middle of the brace. Cut and make a knuckle joint. Went you go to close the lid, the brace will fold up, and store itself . Would need a pair of brass washers in the joint, to help it pivot. You could even add a nut to the bolt/rod/pin, to where you could tighten the brace in place?

Nice job.

Enjoy using it and post more pics.

Great job, Jason. Good to hear you've had fun with the more hand tool focus of your project. It's come out very well.
    I made one a few years back. My only regrets were not making it a bit smaller and adding some dividers in the drawers. Something I can sort out when I get a free moment though....