Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This woodworker believes the solution to the kickback that happened

1. Would a riving knife prevent that?

because it looks like he basically push the wood into the blade

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Pugmire View Post
    Would a riving knife prevent that?

because it looks like he basically push the wood into the blade
    It would depend on the contact point. If the wood touched the blade before the riving knife (had it been installed), the kickback would still happen. Another factor is how the riving knife is aligned: some have the knife aligned with the right side of the blade, and the wood could still hit the spinning blade in that case, increasing the chances of a kickback.

That is why a riving knife reduces but does not rule out the chances of kickbacks. Many woodworkers including many youtubers do not recognize this, promoting in error the riving knife as a total and fool-proof kickback solution.

Simon

That guy is dangerous, not the saw.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    Unless that riving knife were wider than the kerf of that blade, it still had a chance of catching, though less of one. Any tooth that contacted the workpiece could have started it towards the full blade, in my opinion.
    A riving knife won't prevent stupid.
    You sure recognized the risk. At a SawStop shop presentation, they pointed out the "finger saves" that happened in kickbacks while the riving knives were in place, but not the blade guards.

Incidents due to removing offcuts with a bare hand and resulting in the brake activation are well-documented in their injury archives. Such incidents are common with bandsaws too.

Simon

For a riving knife to help in that situation would be just plain luck. A river needs to be thicker than the plate but less than the tooth width. It will keep a cut from closing in the back against the plate but the teeth can still catch the stock- although the odds are much less. A cross grain cut should not close but no knife does any good once the cut is complete and the pieces are separated. Riving knives cut down on the odds for kickback but don't eliminate them and do very little in a case like this. Set the height correctly and run the fence through. Dave

Is this guy dangerous?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIfuViyki0Q

I had been wondering after seeing a few of his horror video segments how come he could practice unsafe methods, but still beat the odds of getting harmed by any machine.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Is this guy dangerous?
    Though he's working with no guards, riving knife or saw stop, that was carelessness and poor placement of the DC. You should *never* be reaching over the saw for anything, especially with that table saw having what looks like a light switch for the on button. Too simple to brush or hook that with clothing, I'd say. It should at least have a guard on it of some kind.

Actually, watching one of his other videos, he's definitely dangerous, and teaching others.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkvO99lswZg

Late in this one, he raises the blade, but fails to notice he's lifting the throat plate and does the cut anyway.
    Push sticks or not, he makes me nervous.
    Last edited by Roy Petersen; 07-16-2018 at 4:53 PM.

Now, the title of being a dangerous guy should be awarded to this "wood"worker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqp3nr2FKEE

Anyone disagree?

And this comment tops it all: "very nice but the music is horrible!!!"

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 07-16-2018 at 4:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    He was TEACHING?

I hope he had had enough insurance coverage.

Simon

Don't push off cuts into the side of a spinning blade. I can't see a riving knife preventing that kickback. He did something that was pretty foolish.

A riving knife would have definetely helped. You clearly hear the teeth start to cut into the piece. He also talks about the arc of shame cut into the piece by riding atop the blade.

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool ". The biggest issue to me with this video has more to do with the amount of oxygen reaching this guys brain than what safety devices he did or did not use.

Wow--there's some high amount of vitriol in this thread that's uncalled for. I don't know Laney Shaughnessy (the guy in the original video) personally but he was an instructor at the Woodworking Shows and I got to meet him briefly. He was very nice and definitely knowledgeable. Definitely did portray himself as perfect in person nor in the video. Sometimes accident happen, or we do something that's considered unsafe by the self-appointed safety police. I bet half of you guys probably wear flip flops into the shops without admitting it hah!

Oh and you don't even need to have a SawStop or even turn off your saw to make the safest of cross cuts--just use a big enough sled. Push forward to cut, pull back from the blade and then grab.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nguyen View Post
    Wow--there's some high amount of vitriol in this thread that's uncalled for.
    By all means, explain why we should celebrate stupid.

One of my favorite quotes of all time:
    "Ignorance should be painful. If it can't be painful, it should be expensive"

I give the guy credit for allowing us to see his dumb move and the consequences. Some video guys have too much ego to admit they shortcut and cut that stuff out. Dave