Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: This woodworker believes the solution to the kickback that happened

The problem started when he poked the corner of the piece into the blade. Would a riving knife have made any difference?

Follow the tracks in the piece. The first tooth lifted the piece and started it up and over the top of the blade to where some of it was on the other side of the plane. Clearly the knife would have stopped that motion.

To accelerate the piece the blade had to get a grip on it, to sink its teeth in. This took a little force against the teeth. This came from the inertia of lifting the piece off the table. A riving knife would have reduced or eliminated this.

However, an alternative path to kickback with the knife in place would be the piece being kicked up over the blade and falling back down onto the blade after the knife.

I definitely learned something here.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I give the guy credit for allowing us to see his dumb move and the consequences. Some video guys have too much ego to admit they shortcut and cut that stuff out. Dave
    As a SawStop owner, I harbor no delight when seeing those "finger saves" SawStop reports with images submitted by the SawStop users (they get a free cartridge as an incentive to report their finger incidents).

This woodworker as well as the one who cut his finger when he reached over for the dc switch was not the only one who shared his mishap with the public. Did they do a public service by sharing? I suppose so, but I wish before such incidents happened, they had done a video on their own shop safety which would have forced them to revisit their own safety awareness. Safety before techniques and efficiency, whether you woodwork for a living or for pleasure.

There are many popular videos out there in which unsafe tablesaw practices are seen, and it is a matter of time that another guy from one of those toutube warriors who will share his "incident" video. In fact, it is the productive ones (constantly making a large number of videos with unsafe habits or methods) who have a higher chance of producing an "incident" episode.

I recall that ironically, one video guy ordered a SawStop that had to yet be delivered, but then he cut his finger pretty bad as he was using his old saw for the last time for his video channel. Anyone who wants to teach someone woodworking with a tablesaw in person needs two things: a SawStop and a good insurance coverage. Your intentions do not matter when someone sues you. An old neighbor learned the hard lesson when he let a teen kid mow his lawn who got hurt in the process.

Simon

SM--this is getting tiresome.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Simon, I'm not sure what you are saying. This accident would have had the same result on any saw- including Sawstop. There have been a million posts here where people feel a riving knife eliminates kickback. It is not a bad education to see how a dumb move can negate a safety feature and assuming you are covered can be fatal. I'm not sure that only demonstrating techniques with a Sawstop is any more valid than teaching drivers ed with a $75000 car that has precollision, lane departure, traction control, autonomous braking and steering, etc. Sounds good but not practical. Dave

Blog Entries
    This is getting circular. The guy in the video set himself up for the kickback in several ways. He had a sac-fence on his miter gauge and therefor could have easily pushed the off cut clear of the blade. The basic safety rule of keeping your hand away from a spinning blade takes care of reaching for an off cut that is next to a spinning blade as well as reaching past a spinning blade. For those that find themselves in the position to do this I suggest you reexamine your techniques. For those that do it just because they are impatient or because nothing has happened yet, please don't indicate that this is proper technique. We have beginners on here and they don't need that kind of info.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    The constant church of sawstop preaching?

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    For one thing in all my woodworking life, I never get tired of watching my back when it comes to shop safety. I plan to stay that way...until I am tired of woodworking.

Simon