Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This woodworker believes the solution to the kickback that happened

This woodworker believes the solution to the kickback that happened

was to install a riving knife:

https://youtu.be/GPEfykBtNhg?t=5m27s

You can also see the slow-motion capture at 8:15 or so.

He was lucky that his hand wasn't dragged into the spinning blade.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 07-15-2018 at 3:56 PM.

He has a full width fence; why not just push it all the way through so it's past the blade altogether?
    Awful practice to begin with, but that was an accident waiting to happen.

Ya know what’s weird for me is I used to have a unisaw that would pick up the cut off and throw the piece. Not everytime I just could never figure why so I just stood to the side of the saw and used a push stick.
    I divorced myself from that saw for more then that reason
    My current saw has not done me wrong it’s a very well behaved machine.Super accurate very quite machine. I still use push sticks or a pencil with a good eraser for smalls.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Ya know what’s weird for me is I used to have a unisaw that would pick up the cut off and throw the piece.
    Did that saw vibrate a lot? Or could it be possible that the saw blade was warped? Was the floor level or was the saw mounted level?

Simon

It didn’t vibrate when it was running but it did thump at start.
    I do remember that it had a dip in the top around the throat plate. It made squaring the blade vertical off the table challenging.
    Aj

he pushed the piece of wood into the blade when he picked it up, no mystery there.

As well old guy said dont pull stuff back on the blade, in this case left it sitting there, I see top people doing that all the time and ive done it as well usually tell myself not to. Is there something he didnt know about? the old guy, when you pull a machined part back across a shaper head when you have already gone forward.

Dip in the top throat point area formula for trouble, depending on how much stuff could drop after cut through. likely thats why your pieces were thrown.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 07-15-2018 at 8:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    He has a full width fence; why not just push it all the way through so it's past the blade altogether?
    Exactly. Some things are just too obvious.

A sled would be better for small pieces like those but the same principle applies- push it all the way through until everything has cleared the blade. Then turn the saw off or walk around and pick up the two pieces. Then the sled can be pulled back for the next cut.

Blog Entries
    Well his riving knife might help, but he needs to work on his technique bay turning off his saw and letting it stop before removing small pieces near the blade. He could have easily received a serious injury on his hand.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    Awful practice to begin with, but that was an accident waiting to happen.
    I have seen many people do that, including in one of a woodworking TV production, probably because they want to avoid a fully exposed sawblade passing through the mitre gauge fence.

It is also tempting for many woodworkers to remove a small offcut while the blade is still spinning or coasting down.

Simon

A riving knife would not have made any difference in this case at all. The wood was pushed about 1/2 way through the blade so the back end was about even with the arbor. Probably 5" beyond any riving knife.
    Bill D

he pushed the piece into the blade when he was picking it up, the low heal lifted and spun the piece and fired it into him. He caused that to happen.

A riving knife would have made a difference, the wood would not have been pushed into the heal of the blade and that is what fired it not the side of the blade.

Shutting the saw off each time to pick up an offcut is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post

Shutting the saw off each time to pick up an offcut is silly.
    This thinking explains why SawStop has designed its brake to remain active even when the saw is turned off while the blade is still coasting down, because with or without a sawstop, people will do the silly thing of removing offcuts with their hands. Why not? They have done that as a habit for a long time and nothing has happened until what is seen the video happens.

Even using a push stick to remove offcuts from a spinning blade is not a safe practice as the stick could catch the blade.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    It is also tempting for many woodworkers to remove a small offcut while the blade is still spinning or coasting down.
    I do it multiple times a day, I just don't shove any flesh in there. Stick, a previous drop, often times the eraser on my pencil.

"If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"

Never mind, I just watched the video. That dude is just waiting to get picked off his family tree.

This guy isn't so great, but it is true that his riving knife would have prevented him from bumping the cutoff onto the back end of the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by John Halsted View Post
    his riving knife would have prevented him from bumping the cutoff onto the back end of the blade.
    Unless that riving knife were wider than the kerf of that blade, it still had a chance of catching, though less of one. Any tooth that contacted the workpiece could have started it towards the full blade, in my opinion.
    A riving knife won't prevent stupid.