Thread: Round 3 Tariff announced.

Round 3 Tariff announced.

US Trade Representative Thomas Lighthizer has published the new list of proposed items (valued at $200 Billion) to be charged an extra 10% tariff on goods imported from China. There are about 6000 HTS Codes on this list, and as it concerns us, it includes an extensive number of wood and wood products, as well as a similar number of builders supplies.

This is a proposed list and will be subject to 90 days of public comment as well as hearings. If you wish to comment or attend a hearing, the detailed instructions and deadlines are available at the website of the US Trade Representative. If you want to comment, the initial deadline for filing a request is July 27, 2018.

The initial proposed 25% tariff on $34 Billion in goods was a list of about 1300 items. After the hearings it was reduced to 818 items, and went into effect July 6, 2018. This is about a 35% reduction in HTS Codes, so they appear to be open to reason.

The second list covers 284 items valued at $16 Billion and the hearings are in progress now with a closing date of probably mid-September.

This third list (of 200 pages) plus the initial two lists are also available on the US Trade representative website.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Enders View Post
    they appear to be open to reason
    \

I hate to think what they would have to do to not be open to reason.

Wade,

Probably the only "public" the Trade Representative will hear from are the lobbyists. I suppose very few individuals or small businesses will bother to comment, but one can hope. I meant reason in the broadest of definitions.

China is not the only country being directly impacted by recent events;

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 07-15-2018 at 9:14 PM.