Thread: Top coat on stained wood

Top coat on stained wood

I have built a hutch for a friend, made from white pine and stained with Zar cherry stain. I am now ready for finishing. I have used two General Finishes products in the past and been very happy but not on stained wood. I was going to put a coat of Seal-a-cell on first(maybe two) and then two coats of Arm-R-Seal. Am I going in the right direction? I am not trying to build an extra high gloss finish just trying to seal the wood and put a smooth finish on it. Thanks for your help, have received great comments on other subjects from the assembled group.

If you used Zar's oil based stain I'm pretty sure it has a healthy does of varnish in it, so there's no benefit of putting Seal-A-Cell over it. I would just use Arm-R-Seal. Do a test on some scrap, whichever way you go, to confirm things will turn out as you want.

John

Assuming your stain is oil-based, you can go right to the arm-r-seal without a problem. Just let is dry for day. No need for seal-a-cell. If the stain is water-based, use dewaxed shellac before the arm-r-seal. Seal-a-cell is oil-based. Edit: Jinx, John.

It is oil based, thanks

Thank you for the comment