Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spokeshave suggestions?

Spokeshave suggestions?

I’m looking to upgrade my beater antique spokeshaves. LV and LN both have some nice looking offerings. The blade adjustment feature on the LV looks pretty handy, but I’m not sure how much I’d really use it. The Boggs spokeshaves from LN are freaking gorgeous. The difference in price is not an issue. I’m looking for working tools that function like they should.

Any sage advice from the creek?
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 07-15-2018 at 11:03 AM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Rob,
    I bought the set of LN shaves many years ago, got tired of fiddling with the blade adjustment so I got the set of LV shaves, much much better. Yea the LN are prettier but the LV are easier to use. Maybe I'm just lazy?

Rob

Some users like the adjusters, and Veritas make the best. Others (like myself) want it as simple as possible. I am not sure (since it has been so long since I last used a spokeshave with adjusters), but I like the low centre of gravity of the Boggs. Those are the ones I use.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Having been satisfied with my "beater antique spokeshaves" over the years my biggest surprise of late was an old wooden bodied spokeshave bought at an antique store.

It amazed me at how well it worked. It is low angle so completely different than any of my other shaves.

As for the choice between LV or LN a decision could be based on what metal composition one wants. With LN it looks like A2 is the only choice. With LV the choices include A2, O1 and PM-V11®.

The adjustment feature is a handy thing to have. All but one of my useable spokeshaves are adjusted by taps from a small mallet. An adjuster would likely save a bit of time and save me from some errant cuts when trying to get a blade set just right.

Two of my spokeshaves are from Lee Valley. One is the Veritas Concave Spokeshave, the other is the Cast Round Spokeshave Lee Valley sold as an introduction to PM-V11 blades when they first came out.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...t=1,50230&ap=1

It is a smaller shave that comes in handy on concave surfaces. It required a bit of light fettling to get to my preferred level of performance.

The Veritas Concave Spokeshave was perfection right out of the box.

The Boggs Spokeshaves do look nice, but the added adjustment feature on the Veritas may be more useful. It comes down to how good you are at setting the blade depth with taps and if you like an A2 blade.

Another feature of the Veritas is kits for making your own handles are available if you are in to making your own handles.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 07-15-2018 at 11:45 AM. Reason: wording change
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I also have an assortment of older shaves. The LV shaves are a great improvement for me. I should qualify this statement with the fact that we all prefer those things that work better for us. Why wouldn't we?

I feel that the LV planes are an improvement on my Stanley format planes. There are those who love traditional things (me included) but, improvements that help me do better work more easily? I'm in.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the LN Boggs spokeshaves and like them. They're used to take fine cuts - they won't work for rough work.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 07-16-2018 at 10:44 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Depending on your budget and preferences there is an entire world of new shaves beyond the offerings by LV & LN. E.g. Caleb James just announced a batch on Instagram. If you follow along you'll come across others, e.g. Claire Minihan specializes in travishers, but in the past has made batches of spoke shaves.

That said, if I was shopping... LV has free shipping this weekend.

The only new one I have is from LV-a concave. It's a pleasure to use. If I ever buy another new one, it'll come from Lee Valley.

Go out and find a couple Millers Falls No. 1 "CigarShaves" and you will be able the skip the above info-mercials.....Billy Mayes would be proud!

Haven't heard of those Millers Falls spokeshaves? You don't know what you are missing then.

Depends a little, I tbink, on how you'll use them. Adjusters are convenient, but they can get in the way if you're going around tight inside corners. I've moved to simple designs, adjusting by fiddling, for that reason.

I have one of those Cigar Shaves. It gets the call for tight, inside curves. The concave LV one still will get the call when I need to remove a lot of wood on something it works for-like the two 14'5" exterior handrails I bought it for after getting tired of fiddling with the old Stanley.

Rob,
    I have 2 of the LV shaves and I'm pleased with them. No infomercial, just my experience with them.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Go out and find a couple Millers Falls No. 1 "CigarShaves" and you will be able the skip the above info-mercials.....Billy Mayes would be proud!

Haven't heard of those Millers Falls spokeshaves? You don't know what you are missing then.
    I found one of those at an antique store a few years ago. I wasn’t smart enough to know if it was all there so I took a pass. Probably a bad move.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I love my Stanley spokeshave, #64.
    No adjustments except with a small hammer, but it is one of my favorite tools. Whether you need adjustment ability the LV(or MF) affords, a spokeshave is a wonderful tool to have and to use.

I do not even use a hammer on the other spokeshaves I use.....I simply tap the handle on the top of the bench......both to advance, and retract. No hammer needed, just tap the handle onto the bench,,,