Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ranges with enclosed burners - which parts get hot?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I actually thought that induction is what he was referring to in his post. It's important to know all pots won't necessarily work on an induction range according to a friend of mine who purchased one for his wife.
    Yes, that's why being compatible was mentioned. You can't do all aluminum, for example, You can do aluminum clad but it has to have steel in the base to actually heat up. Cast iron is fine as is enameled cast iron. Etc. Has to have ferrous metal in the construction.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The OP is correct, heating elements are more commonly called burners, though not correctly. We in the business, (that's what my day job was when I retired) called them burners often as well.

Having been in the business for over 30 years and that was 20 years ago my memory may not be accurate but the first smooth tops (ceramic) came out in the '60s and were produced by Corning in the US. They were popular for a while but faded when stains couldn't be easily removed. About the same time Schott in Germany began producing and exporting glass smooth tops with attractive designs and easier cleaning. Until somewhat recently Schott was the major supplier to all US mfrs. We recently bought a new smooth top range and were very disappointed that the top was not made by Schott--my guess is China but I don't know that for sure. In any event it doesn't clean as easily as the Schott tops.

That said, don't be mislead by the "gourmet cooks"; the women who make the decisions want easy to clean and the go for smooth tops in a big way.

Induction cooktops go back to the late 50's. It is a magnetic induction process and requires ferrous metal cooking utensils and it takes a little time to learn to cook again.

If I were doing the cooking we'd have a gas cooktop and an electric oven but gas is the dirtiest of all.

As far as heat around adjacent areas of the range is concerned there are industry and UL temperature standards which must be met.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I believe you're talking about induction cooktops,
    No - it's defiantly a ceramic (or as it's called around our parts "glass top" stove. We were told that copper can warp and it can also leave a nasty ring & that cast iron can scratch the surface.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I've used all sorts of cooktops (from wood fired cast iron to induction) and cleaned them as well. My current open burner gas range is about the easiest to clean I've had. food either drops through to the pan beneath where it is easily wiped up or the pan can be taken to the sink for easy clean-up, or it lands on the cast iron supports that get wicked hot in use and burns off anything that lands on them. I like that ll the exposed surfaces are either cast iron or stainless and essentially bulletproof. When I use my sister's glass top range the list of rules to avoid damaging or staining the top is so long it's a wonder anything is ever cooked. Kind of like having a table saw where you're not allowed to rub wood on the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Kind of like having a table saw where you're not allowed to rub wood on the surface.
    ROFLOL!! I love that statement!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    It may imply that, but it wasn't my intent. When I was growing up, we called the coils on the electric range its "burners".

In general, I'm curious about the good and bad features of electric ranges with tops that are flat surfaces (for a kitchen with an outlet for an electric range, but no gas). In particular, I'd like to buy a model where the front and sides of the range don't get hot when only the cooktop is used.
    My folks had a furniture and appliance store. We always called them burners on electric stoves.

If you need convincing, just put your hand on one that is glowing red and then tell me it didn't burn.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)