Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ranges with enclosed burners - which parts get hot?

Ranges with enclosed burners - which parts get hot?

On kitchen ranges that have enclosed burners, how much of the body of the range gets hot when the burners are used?

I recall seeing reviews of a range on the Home Depot site that complained about the top of the front face of a stainless steel oven getting hot when the front burners were on high. Is such a thing to be expected? - or are the burners supposed to be insulated from the front of the oven?

I myself have never used a range with enclosed burners. I'm wondering if well-insulated versus not-well insulated burners is a feature to consider when buying a range.

I had to do a little Googling to figure out what you might mean relative to "enclosed" burners. If the context of your question is about burners that are covered with some kind of surface, like ceramic, to make them "easier to clean" I suppose that would result in a whole lot of heat transfer beyond the pot or pan you're using. I surely wouldn't prefer that, myself....I want the heat right on the pan bottom. My Thermodor range has "sealed" burners such that no debris can drop into the appliance, but the burners, themselves, are fully exposed, unlike with a more commercial range design with "open" burners that have to have a removable tray below to facilitate cleaning. The open style does permit more air flow which can support higher BTU, but a well engineered closed burner system like I have can have substantial BTU heat. So again, if the burners are actually covered with some surface...yea, things are likely going to get hot.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    . If the context of your question is about burners that are covered with some kind of surface, like ceramic, to make them "easier to clean" .
    Yes, that's what I mean by "enclosed".

Smooth tops on ranges seems to be the dominant style. For example, at the local home depot, all the ranges on display have a smooth surface on top except for 1, which has the old fashioned coiled wire burners fully exposed.

Smooth tops on ranges seems to be the dominant style
    Yeah - they sure do push those hard don't they?
    Personally, I think they are one of the worst ideas to come down the "trend hiway" since the "open concept".....

My wife was dead set against one until I talked her into it last year. Now we're stuck with it ...

They are quick to get filthy and next to impossible to clean.
    Plus they have the added irritation(s) of needing special pots and pans. Nothing other than flat bottom, avid anything with a copper bottom and no cast iron - other sie you risk severe damage to the surface.

The only good thing I can say about them is they do seem to have a very precise temperature control.

Yes - the heat does spread somewhat, but, since it's just the two of us, we don't run the burners for any length of time & seldom more than one at a time.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

There are UL standards which all appliances have to meet to be certified. The smooth surface ranges and cooktops are entirely safe. There is a "burner box" that encloses them and while the glass tops can certainly burn you there are hot surface warning lights on all brands.

The glass top was introduced as a boon to kitchen clean-up-which it was and is. If you think they are hard to clean, imagine cleaning under open burners or cleaning the burners and grates on gas cooktops.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    Yes, that's what I mean by "enclosed".

Smooth tops on ranges seems to be the dominant style. For example, at the local home depot, all the ranges on display have a smooth surface on top except for 1, which has the old fashioned coiled wire burners fully exposed.
    I personally have not seen a closed top GAS range at all, but then again, I don't really look at that stuff closely in the stores. There are lots of electric flat-tops including induction (which is the only electric powered cooking I'd personally accept), however. Given the nature of gas itself, I don't know that I'd be comfortable with it under a sealed top...or perhaps I misinterpreted your use of the word "burner".
    --

Jim

If your reference was to my comment, I am not aware of any closed surface gas cooktops. That would essentially defeat the advantage of gas cooking, ie. instant heat and controllability.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I think a few people here are thinking of "gas", while a few are thinking "electric" (and at least one person is thinking "induction").

This is the difference between a "sealed" and "open" gas burner.

If the OP is talking about an electric range with a glass top (non-induction style), then I'd offer that I've had several of those without any issues related to heat going where it shouldn't. They're very common/popular, and they work well.

OP's use of "burner' implies gas and a gas burner can not really be sealed it has to have outlets to get the gas into the air to burn and it has to have somewhere for the burned gas to go.
    Bill D.
    PS did you know gas stoves are more recent then electric

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    OP's use of "burner' implies gas
    It may imply that, but it wasn't my intent. When I was growing up, we called the coils on the electric range its "burners".

In general, I'm curious about the good and bad features of electric ranges with tops that are flat surfaces (for a kitchen with an outlet for an electric range, but no gas). In particular, I'd like to buy a model where the front and sides of the range don't get hot when only the cooktop is used.

Stephen, if you're doing electric and doing flat top...go for the induction. You get nearly gas cooking control and only the pot gets hot. Yes, you need pots and pans that are compatible, but that's not particularly difficult these days, and does include cast iron, although you have to be careful. Enameled cast iron cures all that respect and is my preference, anyway. If you choose to go "regular" electric with a flat top, I don't really think you're going to have issue with heat leaving the top, based on my (very limited) experience with them at friends' houses.
    --

I actually thought that induction is what he was referring to in his post. It's important to know all pots won't necessarily work on an induction range according to a friend of mine who purchased one for his wife.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I consider myself a bit of an expert on ranges, if only because I have either in use or in storage, about every type of range known to man!

To the OP's question, I believe he is speaking strictly of ceramic top ranges, as their burners sit beneath the ceramic cooktop. We have a Jenn-Air ceramic cooktop; the burners are coiled-type elements that sit directly below the cooktop surface, which if memory serves is somewhere between 1/8 and 3/16" thick. The heating coils get red real fast, even while cycling on lower heat settings. And even on high, they're not constantly on, they cycle off occasionally. Since it's a cooktop there's no metal nearby, however, the ceramic top from roughly 1" from the far edge of any burner outward doesn't get any more than warm. The cooktop edge is only about 2" from the edges of the burners, and the edges don't even get warm. As to them staying clean, not on your life! Virtually every time you cook on the thing requires cleaning. Eggs are the worst, the whites burn black instantly. We bought expensive ceramic top cleaner until I found out cheap liquid Bar-Keepers Friend cleanser is basically the same stuff. Using it and a green Scotchbrite cleans the burners quite easily in most cases, but it's pretty much a daily job...

Re Rich Englehart, I believe you're talking about induction cooktops, which require magnetic, and most stainless, pans to work. I have one of the 'TV' stand-alone ones, I love the thing- using a cheap thin steel frying pan you can boil a 1/4 cup of water in less than 10 seconds! I use ours a lot, but I don't think I'd like it as my only cooking source... Rather than using a burner, these things turn the pot or pan into the burner. Because of this, the cooktop itself never gets hot EXCEPT for heat transfer from the pan, so I doubt an induction cooktop could ever transfer any significant heat to nearby surfaces.

Aside from Ceramic and induction ranges, you have solid-top burners, good old calrod burners, and better gas burners (which we're using now )

So to that HD range getting bad reviews, I'll wager it's a ceramic, and not a well-designed one..
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

[QUOTE=Kev Williams;2830995]I consider myself a bit of an expert on ranges, if only because I have either in use or in storage, about every type of range known to man!

To As to them staying clean, not on your life! Virtually every time you cook on the thing requires cleaning. Eggs are the worst, the whites burn black instantly. We bought expensive ceramic top cleaner until I found out cheap liquid Bar-Keepers Friend cleanser is basically the same stuff. Using it and a green Scotchbrite cleans the burners quite easily in most cases, but it's pretty much a daily job...

I've had a ceramic cooktop now for about 5 years and think it's great. When we bought this house it came with a stove that had burners that stood above the surface like coiled burners but were solid. Worst idea ever!!! I think they only made them for a couple years. To go from high heat to simmer it would take about 20 minutes for the burner to cool down enough to just simmer. Love the ceramic although it does require more cleaning. I wipe it down after each use and about once a week I go over it lightly with a ceramic cleaner and a scrub pad then wipe it dry and use one of these pads https://www.vileda.ca/product/scrung...-scrub-sponge/ to get off any solid stuff.. they work better than anything else I've tried and do completely remove everything... I you haven't tried them I would strongly recommend you give them a try...

Oh, I didn't say we didn't LIKE it! But the one we got shows the dirt a bit more than most
    ja1.jpg
    But, we got a screamin' deal on it! We actually talked them down another $25--
    Why it was so cheap? For one it was a model-end unit (no more white), for two all the salesmen kept telling would-be customers that it was missing a bunch of parts- Thing is, most of the 'missing' parts don't come with the stove: the air ductwork! Why the sales people figured it did, no clue. FWIW this replaced a perfectly good 1981 JennAir stovetop, with interchangeable burners for grill and griddle cooking- we still have it, plans are for the maybe-someday backyard kitchen center. And now we got's two of 'em!

So the only things actually missing were the 2 knobs, which I found online. And I painted the air duct grill, this was at about a year old:
    ja2.jpg
    and if you look close, you can see the lower left burner needs cleaning -we really did like it, for each gray ring there's a burner element, and you can choose high thru low for each individual element via the control knobs. The big 3-coil burner was a beast! Only had like 2 pots big enough for all of it!
    -note how close the burners are to the top's edges, the edges never got hot...

The ONLY reason we're still not using it, is 2 Xmas's ago I couldn't think of what to get the woman who has everything except a decent oven, so I got that - and since the white JennAir didn't match the new stainless oven and this did:
    ja3.jpg
    - The wife was heartbroken at first, but she's learned to love this one! But she won't part with the JennAir, it's in storage...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle