Thread: Any problem with using 3/4" dia bolts as benchdogs?

Any problem with using 3/4" dia bolts as benchdogs?

Hi,

I've built a workbench with 3/4" holes in the top. I had a couple of 3/4" x 8" chrome bolts I bought from Home Depot a while back but never used. They fit perfectly snug into my bench holes and so I figured I'd superglue a strip of crubber around the head to protect the work pieces and I'd have a cheap & essentially indestructible bench dog. These are obviously pretty rigid, whereas I think most benchdogs are wood or softer metal. So is there any problem with using these that I'm not aware of? I'll post a pic soon if my description doesn't make sense.
    36064762_10156381104758497_7107139550153015296_o.jpg
    edit: this is the only pic I have that you can see the them in. You can see the bolt in the tail vise block, it only has crubber on the non-visible side.
    Last edited by Nick Shattuck; 07-14-2018 at 7:15 PM.

Assuming you have wooden ones to grip softly I would file a checker pattern on one or more wrench flat even file the face of some on an angle before checkering to apply a little downward bite.

I have never seen any other metal than brass used, because it is soft in case you hit it with a plane or chisel. If I did not want to buy brass ones, I'd make my own on a lathe or use dowels.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I've used 3/4" bolts in a pinch on occasion and don't recommend them as a matter of routine. They worked okay and were inexpensive and available the day I needed them, but like others have said, brass or wood are much better and safer for your cutting tools.
    Dick Mahany.

I only picture them used when holding a rough board that you want to plane and have lots of clearance over the dogs.

I'd sure hate to hit that bolt with a plane iron. I use 3/4" wooden dowel rod in various configurations.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 07-14-2018 at 8:07 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

You spent an incredible amount of time building a very nice bench. I am not sure now is the time to worry about the last few bucks. I like my brass lee valley dogs.

Yeah, hitting a blade against these would not be good... I haven't thought of that because the low profile of the hex head has not protruded above any board I've put on the bench, and truth be told, I use it to secure work pieces for power tools more than hand tools . I have some dogs I've made from oak dowels, but the bolts are so fast to move around I've just gravitated to use them in the vast majority of situations.

You're right, Brad Shipton, it's funny the things we cheap out on.

Nick,

I have metal dogs from 30 or more years ago, they were very common. A 3/4" bolt wouldn't be much different in use other than it couldn't be pushed through nor can the protrusion be adjusted lower than the bolt head. I don't use them a lot but I do still use them at times and in all those years I've never nicked one with a plane. That's pretty much a non-issue, if you nicked a brass one the damage would be about the same. BTW, I have some plastic Kreg dogs that I use all the time, they have a fixed protrusion like the bolt head and it isn't much of a problem. If I need something lower I just use a different type dog.

Pretty sharp thinking on your part,

ken

Blog Entries
    You could make wooden dogs using 3/4" dowel stock.

I use brass dogs in the round holes and wood in the square holes. Both have spring shims built in. Neither would work well without them since wood-on-wood is subject to humidity and brass would fall straight through without the wire shim. LV brass are very good. I believe dog should be able to be pressed even with the bench top when not in use. Like the others say, the bolts are a bad idea. Hey, you asked!

I've done just that for years and never hit one with an edge-tool. Truth is I'm pretty careful about that and would hate to wreck an edge with the bolt/stop, but they work just fine.
    -Howard

13. Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shattuck View Post
    Hi,

I've built a workbench with 3/4" holes in the top. I had a couple of 3/4" x 8" chrome bolts I bought from Home Depot a while back but never used.

SNIP
    No problem until you hit them with a blade of some kind. Hardened steel bolts and tools don't mix well. If you're too frugal to go and buy some brass or aluminum then use some hardwood.