Thread: Dovetail jig with dust collection?

Dovetail jig with dust collection?

I'm ready to buy my first dovetail jig. Would use it mostly for drawer boxes. Looking for something with halfway decent dust collection. Can spend around $500-ish.

Any recommendations?

Jason

The Leigh Super Jig with VRS has pretty good dust collection. The 18" model is available for $459 from Lee Valley. I think they have free shipping soon.

I have the Leigh D4R Pro with the VRS (vacuum and router support) and it works really well, this jig is over your budget but they have the Super 18 for ~440 and the VRS for it is about $100, so about $40-50 over your budget but I think you would be happy with it.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Yep, they're still running the free shipping. I just ordered the 18" with VRS. $459 out the door. Thanks for the recommendation!

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Aubuchon View Post
    The Leigh Super Jig with VRS has pretty good dust collection. The 18" model is available for $459 from Lee Valley. I think they have free shipping soon.

My 24" Porter Cable has one. I think it may have been an add on accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    I'm ready to buy my first dovetail jig. Would use it mostly for drawer boxes. Looking for something with halfway decent dust collection. Can spend around $500-ish.

Any recommendations?

Jason
    If you can get by with through dovetails. You can save a bunch of money and frustration by buying the Keller and letting your router table take care of the dust collection. I am working on a blanket chest and just did the sides using the Keller 1500 on the router table. I was surprised that even the 42” x12” sides worked fine on the table. Quick and easy with minimal setup. I was able to skip some of the tails so they look (almost) hand cut. C65F9FCF-ABCD-4205-A7DD-41133FDE0934.jpg
    Charlie Jones

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    My 24" Porter Cable has one. I think it may have been an add on accessory.
    I have the 24" Porter Cable as well. The dust collection assembly was an optional accessory for the jig, but it works quite well and I'd hate to be without it.

Clint

I just bought the keller you are speaking about,,,i think im going to like it as well

Sorry that I'm late in posting this, but the advantage to using a 24" jig for drawers is that you can set up and do both sides of a 12" or less tall drawer at the same time,
    I have the Leigh D4R with VRS and use it frequently this way. It also helps to have two routers, one with the dovetail bit and one with the straight bit, since you won't want to change the router and bit settings once you have them correct. This is especially true when doing half blind dovetail joints.

Charley