Thread: Sliding miter saw issues

Sliding miter saw issues

I’ve been on the hunt for a SCMS for a month or so. In my research I narrowed it down to the Bosch 12” glide. After finding it at a local HD I picked it up that morning. I spent 2 days trying to adjust it, but it constantly fell right back out of square. So I returned it, and snagged the DeWalt 780.

Right out out of the box, it was square, or damned near. Only problem is the table has a warp. The leafs sit about .01 above the center table. I haven’t 100% fine tuned it yet, but I think it might be ok. Dust extraction is absolutely awful, and that was one of my reasons for getting a new saw, as well as needing larger cut capacity.

This morning I went and bought a Kapex 120, just to be 100% sure I was getting the saw I needed. To say I’m disappointed in the Kapex would be an understatement. The table center is .012 proud of the leaves. Sliding my square or a small piece of stock catches the table. Unbelievable. Taking it straight back
    To dealer.

I was was thinking maybe I’m being to anal about checking tolerances, but it’s necessity. I’m pretty bummed with my luck as of late.
    Last edited by Corey Pelton; 07-14-2018 at 1:11 PM.

The Kapex is horribly overpriced and has widespread motor failure issues. I would have definitely taken it back for being out of flat as well.

I don't know what your cut capacity needs are, but no sliding saw is going to be as dead accurate and stay that way compared to a fixed head saw.

You should consider the DW716. Some of the top trim carpenters in the country swear by this saw, and there are many out there who refuse to deal with the issues the Kapex has, not to mention the price.

I wholeheartedly agree, the Kapex is overpriced. I’d say almost all Festool tools are overpriced. When I returned the Kapex this morning, they offered to open another and let me verify the table. This one came out spot on, so I kept it. Took about 10 minutes and I had the saw dialed in and I was happily cutting away. Really wish the Bosch worked out, but they were out of stock, and well, I didn’t feel like waiting for another to come in.

I’m definitely not a Festool advocate by any means, but it took 4 saws to find one I was comfortable keeping, just happened to be the Kapex.

And Phillip, the saw this is replacing is DW716, hah. Nothing wrong with it, been a fantastic saw, but I was flipping boards for full cuts and dust extraction was non-existent. Didn’t have the XPS system either, so the lasers are a welcomed addition.
    Last edited by Corey Pelton; 07-14-2018 at 11:11 PM.