Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopping for a finish nailer

Shopping for a finish nailer

Hey Gang,

I am looking for a finish nailer to do a lot of trim at my bay cottage and my Father in Law's place. I need to use stainless nails for the Bay cottage due to the close proximity to salt water.

I have had good success with Dewalt power tools but am not committed. I never owned a nailer. Also, I see angled and straight. If you only had one which would you have.

Thanks, ron

I've had them all and I like the ridgid.

I am happy with my refurb Hitachi nailer.

Blog Entries
    Go to Lowes or Home Depot. They both sell good nail guns.

I like Senco.I have two finish nailers by them, as well as a brad nailer.They have been reliable, and nails are widely available. I don't know about stainless nails for them, though.

Hitachi are good and inexpensive. Angled or straight will depend on way gauge and length nails you need for the specific task. I have about 6 different nailers...pin nailer, 18 gauge, 16gauge, framing nailer, roofing nailer...etc...what type of work will you be doing?

Are you looking for air-powered or cordless?

What gauge? For a given gauge, angled is a little more maneuverable into corners and such, but angled nails can be a little harder to source (e.g. need to buy online instead of walking into the big box store).

I have Hitachi, Bostitch, Senco, and Paslode in sizes ranging from roofing/siding and framing to pin (23g). I really like the Bostitch "smart point" nailers in the trim sizes because the tips offer good visibility.

IMHO - an 18 ga nailer/NC stapler combo gun is the most bang for the buck.

Having said that - I'm really glad I don't have to be limited to just that. .

You should be aware though that 15 ga guns come in two different sizes - whether they are straight or angled. There's the DA and FN style fasteners & they don't interchange. Make sure if you go 15 ga, you get the right fasnteners since you probably won't be able to return them if they are opened.
    (It was bad enough in my case when I screwed up and was out ~ $20 for a pack - but - man oh man,,,,the price of stainless is outta sight!)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Hey Gang,

I will be using it mostly for casing molding and 3/4" rustic pine molding/baseboard. Air powered is what I am thinking, but open to suggestion.

My crew uses Grex, Senco, Porter and Bostich. Honestly they are all good enough. I'd recommend getting one with a belt hook, last nail cutoff so it won't dry fire, and as light as possible. Brand is secondary, just pick one you've heard of before, and you'll be fine. Even the duds are probably just fine, ie I use my least favorite 15g Senco all of the time, so one of the other guys doesn't have to learn it's tricks.

For what you describe, casing and baseboard, I use my Ryobi 18 gauge cordless. For a cordless it is inexpensive and some "name brand" pneumatics cost as much. I've completely redone this house with it and did a lot in my last house with it. It's fired around 8000 mostly 2 inch brads so far for me and seems ready to do many more.

I also have Porter Cable and Bostitch pneumatics but my more recent pneumatics have all been from Harbor Freight. I have a framing nailer, a flooring nailer, a 15 gauge and some staplers. They all work fine. They aren't quite as nice as more expensive brands but you can get a 18 gauge for about $25.

I use the 15 gauge for window stools and sometimes when putting in doors. I have a 16 gauge Bostitch which also works fine for this but sometimes the angled head of the HF 15 gauge will get into a space easier. I also have a Bostitch 23 gauge pinner I use when putting on returns. HF sells one too and Ryobi just came out with a cordless one.

I have a little 25 lb Senco compressor that works fine and is not hard to move but most of the time, I use the Ryobi cordless. It is just really nice to not have to mess with power cords and air lines. But in terms of bang for the buck, you cannot beat Harbor Freight pneumatics.

I really like Hitachi nail guns. They strike a good balance between being cost effective and usually very good. Sure there are slightly better nailers out there if you want to spend 2-4 times as much, but it's diminishing returns if you aren't doing it professionally, and even then Hitachi can be great.

Cheap nailers are great, but, they do leave more hammer marks, lack rebuild parts and don't work as well with longer fasteners.
    The Freeman and HF nailers are great for construction work, but, they leave a lot to be desired when it comes to finer stuff - like trim & furniture/cabinetry.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

The big box stores usually have a Porter Cable pancake compressor with 3 nail guns (16ga, 18ga, stapler) and hose for cheap. I got one of these kits about 12 years ago and the guns are still doing fine, albeit with light use. I just looked and I think the kit I got is even cheaper now at $199.

Keep them oiled and learn the adjustments and I don't see how a more expensive gun could do a better job.

Blog Entries
    I have the Bostitch 18 ga brad gun, their 15 ga angled finish nailer and their pinner. No problem with any of them.
    NOW you tell me...