Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shopping for a finish nailer

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    The big box stores usually have a Porter Cable pancake compressor with 3 nail guns (16ga, 18ga, stapler) and hose for cheap. I got one of these kits about 12 years ago and the guns are still doing fine, albeit with light use. I just looked and I think the kit I got is even cheaper now at $199.

Keep them oiled and learn the adjustments and I don't see how a more expensive gun could do a better job.
    I bought that set on sale too, and all that is left is the crown stapler. Probably because i hardly used it. The compressor died real quick. Very disappointed in PC.

In this new age of LiIon batteries, if you're going to use the nailer a lot, I'd consider the rather hefty investment of a cordless finish nailer. It is a nice thing to not drag that air hose in and around your freshly made cabinet. Yeah they a bit bulky and don't fit in smallish areas, but the benefits are there. The Hitachi cycles almost as fast as an air gun, but, if using a finish nailer, it never a race to shoot nails.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    I bought that set on sale too, and all that is left is the crown stapler. Probably because i hardly used it. The compressor died real quick. Very disappointed in PC.

In this new age of LiIon batteries, if you're going to use the nailer a lot, I'd consider the rather hefty investment of a cordless finish nailer. It is a nice thing to not drag that air hose in and around your freshly made cabinet. Yeah they a bit bulky and don't fit in smallish areas, but the benefits are there. The Hitachi cycles almost as fast as an air gun, but, if using a finish nailer, it never a race to shoot nails.
    +1 on the compressor not being worth much. I did get several years out of it, though, with much more use than the guns themselves.

Makita

I do not have a finishing nailers but if I was looking for one of them I would not hesitate to go to Makita pneumatic model.

I have used both bread nailer as well a "heavy duty" 1/2" stapler from Makita (pneumatic) with great results. I recommend them.