Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shopping for a finish nailer

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    The big box stores usually have a Porter Cable pancake compressor with 3 nail guns (16ga, 18ga, stapler) and hose for cheap. I got one of these kits about 12 years ago and the guns are still doing fine, albeit with light use. I just looked and I think the kit I got is even cheaper now at $199.

Keep them oiled and learn the adjustments and I don't see how a more expensive gun could do a better job.
    I bought that set on sale too, and all that is left is the crown stapler. Probably because i hardly used it. The compressor died real quick. Very disappointed in PC.

In this new age of LiIon batteries, if you're going to use the nailer a lot, I'd consider the rather hefty investment of a cordless finish nailer. It is a nice thing to not drag that air hose in and around your freshly made cabinet. Yeah they a bit bulky and don't fit in smallish areas, but the benefits are there. The Hitachi cycles almost as fast as an air gun, but, if using a finish nailer, it never a race to shoot nails.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    I bought that set on sale too, and all that is left is the crown stapler. Probably because i hardly used it. The compressor died real quick. Very disappointed in PC.

In this new age of LiIon batteries, if you're going to use the nailer a lot, I'd consider the rather hefty investment of a cordless finish nailer. It is a nice thing to not drag that air hose in and around your freshly made cabinet. Yeah they a bit bulky and don't fit in smallish areas, but the benefits are there. The Hitachi cycles almost as fast as an air gun, but, if using a finish nailer, it never a race to shoot nails.
    +1 on the compressor not being worth much. I did get several years out of it, though, with much more use than the guns themselves.

Makita

I do not have a finishing nailers but if I was looking for one of them I would not hesitate to go to Makita pneumatic model.

I have used both bread nailer as well a "heavy duty" 1/2" stapler from Makita (pneumatic) with great results. I recommend them.

For stainless steel nails, if you have trouble sourcing them locally, I would recommend fastenerusa in Modesto. They carry the 316 stainless nails in all the gauges for saltwater application.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    I don't see how a more expensive gun could do a better job.
    One of the main differences between the mid-level and higher end guns like Grex, Cadex, and Omer is the fact they produce smaller driver marks on the wood for a given size.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Davis Young View Post
    For stainless steel nails, if you have trouble sourcing them locally, I would recommend fastenerusa in Modesto. They carry the 316 stainless nails in all the gauges for saltwater application.
    Thanks, Down by the bay stainless is absolutely needed. Unreal what happens to steel down there!

One of the main differences between the mid-level and higher end guns like Grex, Cadex, and Omer is the fact they produce smaller driver marks on the wood for a given size.
    Couple things here.
    Grex makes an outstanding 23 ga. pin nailer. Some say they are industry best.
    I know I jumped all over a 15 ga Grex nailer I ran across on a 50% off sale.
    I ordered it, then decided to have a sort of gloat the next day and read up on how well I had done.

Turns out - all Grex makes in the line of 23 ga guns.

They outsource all the other ones & overall, they are not well thought of.
    Definitely do some research on the reviews of Grex guns other than their 23 ga.

The other thing - while I agree 100% about the difference between the lower priced and better guns, when it comes to 23 ga pin nailers, they shouldn't leave a mark of any kind at all.
    If they do, then they aren't being operated correctly.
    23 ga pin nailers don't have the nose lockout & are designed to shoot a pin from above the surface, not in contact with the surface.

For all the other gauges - you're spot on - -you pay more money for what you don't see - as in tell tale divots.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Lots of input on this already, so I'll just add a couple of thoughts. 1) I'd avoid a nailer/stapler combo. I had one, and disliked the larger mark left by impact when driving nails. 2) As I've said before, consider the Grizzly 18 gauge nailer. It is a cheap, reliable nailer that handles a large variety of nail lengths and uses readily available stock nails from the big box stores. I had an outdoor project that required 1-1/4" Stainless Steel and was able to purchase them in my local orange store. Lots of people dis the Grizzly stuff, but at $39.95 I think is is a "best buy". My first one lasted 14 years and I'm using a "new" one now.