Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Plane Question

Shooting Plane Question

For those of you that use the LV or LN shooting plane, what is the practical limit for the thickness of the boards that can be readily end-grain shot? David Charlesworth says, on his shooting video, it is 5/8 to 3/4". But he is using a 5-1/2, not a shooting plane.

Thanks for any input.

Blog Entries
    In my opinion, the limiting factor is the width of the blade minus the height difference of the ramp to the work surface of the shooting board.

Quite often my board has been used to shoot 2X construction lumber. My plane is an LN #62 with a 2" blade. My minus height is ~1/2".

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    My LV has a 2-1/4” iron. I use their track so whatever is left after that.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

With my shooting board out of 3/4 thick material about 1-1/2" is left of LV blade. Maximum would be 2" for LV, after taking into account that the blade is skewed.

I also managed to shoot stock 3x3" by rotating it... and quite happy with result (it were legs for bandsaw stand).
    Last edited by Andrey Kharitonkin; 07-13-2018 at 5:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    I also managed to shoot stock 3x3" by rotating it
    There is almost always a way to get around the limits… except when passing a law enforcement officer on the interstate.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I cannot say that I would want to shoot anything thicker than 3/4". In part because is takes much effort to do so. More than that, I am happy to plane that thickness with the board in the vise and using a plane freehand. 3/4" is about the limit for drawer front thickness, and they would be shot for squareness when fitting the drawer recess.

Generally, I use the shooting board for thinner board ends, or which boards are too thin to comfortably plane in a vise. For this reason, it is not the largest dimension that I consider, but just the need to do so in a thinnish board.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I also find the best use for my shooting setup on small parts. Thin pieces that are hard to hold for large chunks or thick stock I find another way.
    So I agree with Derek
    Aj

It isn't just the width of the blade available, it also depends on the wood you are planing. Using the LV shooter I have planed 1.75 in. cherry without that much problem. But I tried 1.375 in white oak, well, as Derek said, to much trouble. I sure wish I had seen Derek's post before I tried that.

Ron

9. depends on you. If you have a right arm like a hermit crap you could probably push the full width of the blade. But if you're an 8 hour a day office chair jockey then you'd probably max out at about 3/4"

Matteo, did that take into account a dedicated low angle skew shoot plane as opposed to say a #7? I find the 7 really hard to push and hard on my hands end grain planing 1/2" poplar.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by les winter View Post
    Matteo, did that take into account a dedicated low angle skew shoot plane as opposed to say a #7? I find the 7 really hard to push and hard on my hands end grain planing 1/2" poplar.
    A low angle plane is much easier to push through a cut on a shooting board. This was my reason for purchasing a LN #62 back before the new shooting planes were on the market. It is occasionally used to shoot 2X construction lumber.

So Les, what do you have planned to wonder about this?

If you are in my area, you are welcome to come by and have a tryout with my #62 on a shooting board to see how it goes. The dedicated shooting planes would likely be a bit easier to push through the same work.

jtk

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Andrey Kharitonkin;Maximum would be 2" for LV, after taking into account that the blade is skewed.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Andrey. I overlooked the skew .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thank you Jim. The info here has given me clarity. I'm buying an LV shooting plane. I work in 3/4" and thinner stock. I expect it will do the trick.
    thanks for the input all.

Buy the track, too. You won't regret it. Act fast, free shipping is over soon.

Simon

Advice taken, Simon. It's done.