Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood Lathe Options in Late 2018

Wood Lathe Options in Late 2018

I'd like to buy a lathe and have been looking around and reading as much as I can. I'd like to stick with the buy big and don't buy again philosophy. I want to turn big green logs. Given the good reviews of the Grizzly G0800 that would have seemed like a good option but now the price has jumped substantially due to the tariff thing.

The Grizzly G0694 is now comparatively very cheap. After a 10% discount code and $199 freight it is just $2,894.50 including freight. The swing over the bed/rest is a bit small but it comes with an outboard toolrest. The only issue is that there really isn't much information about this machine in terms of reviews. But it seems to me that the lathes affected by the tariff are now very expensive compared to those made in Taiwan, like the G0694. It is unfortunately out of stock right now.

Powermatic's 3hp offering, the 4224B, is almost 3 times the price. Though I do prefer the open stand design with the cast iron legs.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

The mods will move this to the turning forum but my bet is people steer you toward Grizzly's newer lathes vs the G0694.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Oneway and Robust. Oh, and Vicmarc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    Oneway and Robust. Oh, and Vicmarc.
    Have to agree with Mike, if your budget supports the 4224B, then definitely look at the non-China/Taiwan options.
    "Only a rich man can afford cheap tools, as he needs to buy them again and again"

5. Those tariffs are a tough chew for sure! That being said, I have turned on some of the best lathes available, including the Robust American Beauty, many Powermatic 3520b's and numerous other lathes. I have two Grizzly lathes in my shop, the 22/42 G0766 and the 24/48 G0800 with the bed extension.

I was actually saving for the American Beauty, but the G0800 really caught my eye, and I decided to dive deeply into the specs, build, etc. First off, it is made by the same company that makes the Powermatic lathes, which is Harvey Industries Co, and it is a clone of their Harvey Turbo-60 unit, which is their flagship model.

It does have a premium A/C motor/inverter combo on it that is top notch, and my G0800 is truly impressive with the torque at low speeds. That small belt is especially made for high torque applications, and I have not had it slip, not once! I have turned some big/heavy wood in it! I just finished a roughout yesterday from green red maple that came from my next door neighbors yard, that was storm damaged last week, which started out at about 125 lbs, and is 15.5 inches diameter.

I have also turned on a Serious SL2542, which is almost 1600 lbs. of premium beast, and this is my honest opinion. To me, turning on my G0800 feels like turning on the Serious and Robust. It is smooth and powerful. The machining is top notch, and the build is very precise and refined. The centers line up to an exacting degree, and it is pretty heavy. My unit with the bed extension is about 900 lbs, and I like the leg casting design, as it has a wide splay for stability, and the castings allow for shelving for even more added ballast.

The headstock design is ergonomic, it has three massive bearings on the headstock spindle, which are all larger than a baseball, and the lock down of headstock, banjo and tailstock are rock solid, and the weight of all three are heavy duty as is all the lathe. It has beefy castings throughout, and as stated earlier, the machining is as good as anything I've seen anywhere, and better than most! The tool rest has a 1" wide bar of drill rod material, turned on its side and welded in place, so the tool rest has a smooth, basically ding free surface for the gouge to ride on.

If money is no object, then the Robust is a fine machine, and a super warranty. I can tell you, having turned on it, it is a sweet machine! The G0800 is a sweet machine! I could have waited a couple more years and perhaps gotten a fully tricked out American Beauty, but honestly, there is nothing that the Beauty or the Serious can do that my G0800 can't also do! The bed extension allows for versatility in setup, and can be mounted on either end of the bed, or the front of the bed for getting behind a turning, but I have mine set up for turning off the tailstock end.

The tariff situation may cause some heartburn, and make the Robust a more pleasing option, but that is something you will have to decide.

All I wanted to do with this post was to share my own personal experience and perspective. I am really happy with my decision to go ahead with the G0800......and the G0766 for that matter, but the G0800 is definitely more machine!

I compare the Jet 1642 Evs, the Nova DVR, that class of lathes is sort of like having a small Ford Ranger pickup and the G0800 like having a Super Duty 350 with all the heavy duty build.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 07-13-2018 at 2:49 PM. Reason: typo
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

John, it may help if you stated your actual budget. If you are willing to pay Canadian or American built prices then the discussion is a completely different discussion. I will say there is ZERO chance I personally would buy a tariffed machine (the tariffs would work there magic on me as a consumer. I just could not spend 25% more than last months price and get NOTHING in return for the extra money. However, I am stubborn like that.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I totally agree with what Roger said. I have turned on the Laguna 24/36 ( the same as the GO800) for over three years now. Wonderful machine.
    Really too bad what these tariffs are doing and what they going to do.

I am not a poor person, but I am frugal. The answer to the budget question is that I can afford anything that will offer a reasonable amount of enjoyment, satisfaction, and productivity for each marginal dollar increase over it's competitor. When I start looking at equipment and I see one machine is multiple times more expensive than another, there had better be some damn good reasons for that. When you use a machine every day, even small marginal improvements make a big difference over time, but when you use a machine only now and then (like I would be as a hobbyist), those small marginal improvements are just luxury items.

Another way I look at machine value is to compare the new vs used prices on a machine. If a machine doesn't have solid resale value then something is wrong with the pricing/value model. Festool products are a good example: used tools seem to sell pretty close to their new price.

So, that doesn't answer the budget question in a way that provides any limits, which I realize isn't so helpful. I guess my answer says, "tempt me".

9. John, if you could find some turners within a reasonable area for you to take a test drive on the machines you are considering, it might go a long way towards helping you make up your mind which unit to purchase. May I inquire where you are located? There may be some turners fairly near you who might offer up a couple of hours for you to turn on their lathes.

I'm in Champaign, Illinois. I can't seem to find anyone in my area that has respectable machinery, except for perhaps the physical plant that manages all of the upkeep for the university here. Even the local woodshop store doesn't keep anything in stock bigger than an 8" jointer.

Where do you live? that will influence your choices. If you are in the USA I would buy used old American cast iron. I know Italy and Austria and soviet countries have a good history of metal working lathes, no idea if that translates into wood machines.
    I need to sell my old ,cast iron delta 14x40 built in the 1950's? . Are we even on the same continent?
    Bill D.
    USA
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 07-13-2018 at 9:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    John, there is an ad in classifieds for a woodturning shop in Denver that’s an awesome deal. It has a powermatic lathe and a huge amount of ancillary equipment.

i have an older grizzly that I turn on. I’ve turned on a powermatic, robust, and an one way. There is no comparison between the former and the latter.

i have no experience with the Harvey equipment except that they’ve bought bridge city and have been making many of their tools.

mike

I’d have a hard time paying an extra $1000 for nothing as well. The tariff situation stinks. Grizzly has made their name as the direct to consumer great bang for your buck tool company. Their biggest advantage has always been price. The G800 looks like a great machine though. If I were buying a lathe 2 months ago it would be a serious contender for sure.

I’m super happy with my Powermatic 3520B. The C seems to have some decent upgrades and is worth a look. They will frequently have 10% off Black Friday sales and miscellaneous throughout the year. Craft Supplies just had a 10% off Jet/Powermatic and I bought a bandsaw. I haven’t turned on any other similar lathes- it was my first ‘big’ lathe.
    Last edited by Rob Price; 07-14-2018 at 8:50 AM.
    Where did I put that?

14. I would think that tariffs will become a problem for Jet/Powermatic also because they are manufactured in China/Tiwaan ROC as well. Some of the foundries that make the castings are the same for Grizzly & Powermatics as well.

I’ve wondered about that- if other tools would start going up. Makes me wonder if there’s any big tool purchase I should make now.
    Where did I put that?