Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About Spanish Cedar...

About Spanish Cedar...

Would Spanish cedar be appropriate for the top of an entertainment center where the TV and stereo equipment would sit? And maybe for bookshelves as part of the same units.

It's pretty limited here on decent priced hardwoods. My choices are 10/4 Spanish @ $5.55 bd/ft, 6/4 cherry @ $3.29 and 6/4 African ribbon mahogany at $4.89. We're trying to keep the woods light, thus the consideration of Spanish cedar.

Thanks,
    Julie
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Man do I wish I could get prices like that here. I’d pick the cherry.

Spanish Cedar is to soft in my opinion, I would go with one of the other 2.....

What is the span? You should be good out to 4 feet with no edge treatment.
    If it were 10/4 sure. I think even 1" thick, not 4/4, would do it.
    Old style tube, and CRT TV's , no way. Newer stuff is pretty light by comparison to the "old stuff". My hesitation would be is kids, or grand kids were to try to climb it.
    Spanish cedar isn't a "strong" wood per se, but it's a little tougher than folks might give it credit for.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I also say that Spanish cedar is too soft for my taste

I’m definitely a fan of cherry. As you probably know, no matter what you do, it will age to a nice caramel brown...not sure how light you want it to be. I have one cherry table with stripes of sapwood that lighten it up...but you have to like that look.

Gotta like the fact that you’re in the tail end of one project (guitar) and already thinking through the next!

Way too soft.

I agree about the Spanish Cedar being softer than desired for this kind of application. I'm a cherry guy and at those prices, assuming it's not twisty-twisty wood, that would be my choice. But you say "light" and neither the cherry or the mahogany are going to come in as "light" in color and cherry gets darker with time. Traditional "light" wood would {SIC} be maple.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Would Spanish cedar be appropriate for the top of an entertainment center where the TV and stereo equipment would sit? And maybe for bookshelves as part of the same units.

It's pretty limited here on decent priced hardwoods. My choices are 10/4 Spanish @ $5.55 bd/ft, 6/4 cherry @ $3.29 and 6/4 African ribbon mahogany at $4.89. We're trying to keep the woods light, thus the consideration of Spanish cedar.

Thanks,
    Julie

Wow, thats really limited! Only three wood species to choose from? I would not consider any of them to be "light" woods. And indeed the Spanish is the softest of the group as well as being the only "softwood" of the group. From those three I'd likely go with the cherry if it fit into what I wanted. Or.... see if you can get something shipped? The cedar could work but being soft will likely be easily marred and something to keep in mind.

good luck,
    JeffD

I know it's not the end all be all, but Spanish Cedar has a higher Janka rating than cherry, it also is a very durable wood. Spanish Cedar is actually part of the mahogany family. Last time I bought from a dealer that used to be near me always labeled mahagony.

What is sold as Spanish Cedar varies a lot more in density than it's spot on the Janka chart. I've seen some that is noticeably softer than Western Red Cedar, and that's mostly what's sold around here as "Spanish Cedar". I always expected that it was plantation grown in South America.

Spanish Cedar in my humble opinion is too soft for a table top. If hardwoods are limited in your area, order from Wall Lumber in NC. I have received orders from them that are top quality. Or find a local Woodcraft; or ask around in the local big box stores for local hardwood suppliers.
    A local cabinet shop could get material for you as well.

Oh the smell of Spanish Cedar is enough to stop me from using it!!!
    Carpe Lignum

Blog Entries
    Veneer would give you a lot more choice.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Spanish Cedar in my humble opinion is too soft for a table top. If hardwoods are limited in your area, order from Wall Lumber in NC. I have received orders from them that are top quality. Or find a local Woodcraft; or ask around in the local big box stores for local hardwood suppliers.
    A local cabinet shop could get material for you as well.
    Damn, those prices are almost good enough to pay the freight to KS.