Thread: Delta 8" jointer

Delta 8" jointer

Looking to buy a 8" Jointer. Found a few online one is a Delta 52-678. I it has a 1.5 hp motor that is wired for 115v but can be wired for 220.. I like the idea of using the 115v since its a small shop and currently dont have 220v. The guy wants around $900 and is only wiliing to drop the price $50. From the pics the jointer looks in real nice shape. Is this considered a good price? Is it worth the 2.5 hour drive?

The other is a Geetech CT-204L 8" at a way better price but the motor is wired for 220v which I dont have at the moment. This is also about a 2.5 hour drive.

What are you thoughts are all the 8" used Jointers around the $700 to $900 price range?

I would say that if it's in good shape, it's not a bad deal.

115 or 220 what country? Location will vary what is a good price.
    Bill D.

I live in New Jersey.
    The Delta is a good deal at $850? So is a decent used 8" jointer is in the $800 range?

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Dembicki View Post
    Looking to buy a 8" Jointer. Found a few online one is a Delta 52-678. I it has a 1.5 hp motor that is wired for 115v but can be wired for 220.. I like the idea of using the 115v since its a small shop and currently dont have 220v. The guy wants around $900 and is only wiliing to drop the price $50. From the pics the jointer looks in real nice shape. Is this considered a good price? Is it worth the 2.5 hour drive?

The other is a Geetech CT-204L 8" at a way better price but the motor is wired for 220v which I dont have at the moment. This is also about a 2.5 hour drive.

What are you thoughts are all the 8" used Jointers around the $700 to $900 price range?

I think it is a good deal, especially if it is in good shape. IMHO, the voltage or the 2.5 hr. drive would not influence me since this is probably a medium/long range plan.

My 2 pennies,

RC

Blog Entries
    A 1.5 Hp motor will have the same power at 120 volts as it will at 240 volts, so there is no real gain by running it on 240.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I paid 625 for one at a school auction around 1975. Everyone said I was crazy for paying that much for it, but I was getting ready to pay 995 for a new one, and was glad to save the money on one as good as new. I still use it.

I have a old Rockwell/Delta from the 1970's I bought it around 1995 and it was needing a little work. I can't remember for sure but I think I paid around $500 for it put about $150 into it. It's been a great machine & I still use it. I like the older American Made machinery. No reason it shouldn't last me the rest of my life.

A 1-1/2 HP motor is right at the limit for 110 volts, because of the amperage.
    I had a 1-1/2 HP motor wired for 110 volts on my old Delta contractor's saw. It kept tripping the breaker, and I couldn't use it for more than a few minutes at a time.I ended up getting a 220 v. circuit installed, and things were much better.
    If you're going to get a big jointer, I'd highly recommend that you switch over to 220 volts.
    Rick

I bought my delta about five years ago for $400. Of course I had to switch out the motor for single phase and maybe switch the control transformer taps. I separated the machine from the base and carried it upside down.
    Bill D.