Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reasonably priced chisels?

Reasonably priced chisels?

Looking for a 4 or 5 piece bench chisel that won't be unduly expensive. I've been looking at the Lee Valley and Narex, and even the Buck ones at HD. Any advice?

Price point you're comfortable with? Will these be beaters or just hard workers? How much work are you willing to put into your purchase to get them to where you want them? So many follow up questions . . .

Troll for a set from Aldi if you can find them. They usually show up in the stores in the Spring and Fall. Or you can go for a piece set of new Stanley Sweetheart 750s for ~$85. Or troll eBay but pay close attention to the level of pitting - there's lots of crap out there. Marples Blue Chip are great ones too - about $70 for 6.

Well I'm not looking to refurb anything. But final edge setting/sharpening is ok with me. These wouldn't be beaters or for super detailed work, more general use. Price: looking at $50-75, although $85 might be ok if the value of those Stanley's is high.
    Last edited by Brandon Thill; 07-12-2018 at 2:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have had excellent service from my standard Lee Valley bevel edge chisels. At about $15 each I would grab a 1/4" a 1/2" and cover nearly all your needs. The 1/2" can double as a paring chisel and you could add a 1-1/4" or a 1-1/2" for face registering tasks like tenon cheeks if you wanted.

I bought a full set of LV butt chisels and a few sizes have been rarely touched. I switched to being more selective and buying just what I needed Buy just the sizes you need and buy a little better quality. You can always add other sizes later.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-12-2018 at 2:40 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hi Brandon,

Reasonably priced is a moving target - The Veritas PM-V11 chisels are reasonably priced considering their quality and steel, as are the aldi chisels. However, the best bang for your buck for a set of excellent chisels in my opinion is the Ashley Iles - I honestly do not know how they maintain their price point given their quality and scale. You wont need another set of bench chisels in your life.

I got a set of wood river from woodcraft for about your range (although I think it was on sale). They were not great, but are perfectly serviceable, if I upgrade it will be more because I am a blade junkie than because they are not working for me. I did spend a few hours flattening backs before sharpening. Narex in general seems to come highly recommended for close to your price range.

Blog Entries
    My advice would be to decide on what is important to you.

To me it is important for a chisel to feel "right" in my hands. Chisels that feel "clumsy" in my hands tend to lead me in to making clumsy mistakes.

One mistake many folks make is to buy tools while at the same time thinking of upgrading. Buy what you want the first time. You won't miss the money later, but you will be a lot happier every time you pick up the quality you chose.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My first set was an Irwin/Marples with the blue plastic handles. It was one of the last made in Sheffield. Not sure if that matters. The prep (flattening, sharpening) was a bit burdensome, but they hold a decent edge. I still have them and use them for rough work. Later I stretched and bought a set of LN Bevel Edge Chisels. More expensive? Yup. Worth it? Yup. Regrets? Nope. All in, I would have spent less if I just waited and bought the LN chisels.

Economics often drive decisions, and many times for the correct reasons. I've been there. As I've become old (vintage ) I've adopted the mantra that "The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten". Save up and buy the best you can with obvious consideration to your personal situation. It's weird. As my time on earth is gradually diminished, the more patient I become. Buy chisels you can make wonderful things with and then have your grandkids fight over.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Thill View Post
    Looking for a 4 or 5 piece bench chisel that won't be unduly expensive. I've been looking at the Lee Valley and Narex, and even the Buck ones at HD. Any advice?
    Brandon,

Hasin has good advice, the A.I. chisels are a bargain.

I will add, buy fewer good chisels and add more good chisels as needed. With chisels it is not just about the edge holding but the "balance" of the chisel. Does it feel good in hand, does it match your sharpening system, will it work the way you like to work? As an example: I like to use a metal hammer when chopping with a chisel. I feel I have better control and it takes less effort. Japanese chisels are made to be hit with metal hammers. For paring and fine work that doesn't require a mallet or hammer I like a chisel with a "carver's" or even a London pattern handle. Find a friend that has several types of chisels and give 'em a go. Find one that feels good. You may not be able to describe what you want but you will know it when you feel it.

ken

Oh trust me, I've never regretted paying big bucks for a high performance tool! But, being realistic, I'm not a hand tool guy, I don't build intricate projects, but every now and then a chisel is just the right tool for the job.

Irwin is no go for me, I've been too disappointed with them before. Kind of circling back to recommendations for the LV, Narex, and Stanley 750 at this point. I couldn't find a US source for Ashly Iles?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Thill View Post
    Oh trust me, I've never regretted paying big bucks for a high performance tool! But, being realistic, I'm not a hand tool guy, I don't build intricate projects, but every now and then a chisel is just the right tool for the job.

Irwin is no go for me, I've been too disappointed with them before. Kind of circling back to recommendations for the LV, Narex, and Stanley 750 at this point. I couldn't find a US source for AI?
    Tools For Working Wood. I've a few of all the chisels you mentioned. The A.I. along with the Marples and Japanese are the goto chisels.

ken

My advise is to think about trying out one or two chisels that are considered "good" (not "best" perhaps, but at least "good") to see how they feel in your hands rather than buying a full set of chisels based more on a price point point-of-view. The chisel's feel in your hands is subjective and a very important quality for happy chisel use. As recommended above, go for a 1/2" as a general use paring or chopping chisel, with a 1/4" added in if the $ are there for the try out. I also like the way the Ashley Iles chisels feel and sharpen, but that is me and may not be you. Decent chisels should re sell at not much of a price drop as cheaper/less quality chisels will. At some point soon into your use of chisels, you will have to address sharpening and it is not as daunting a task for a new-to-sharpening woodworker to have only a couple of chisels to sharpen as opposed to a four-five-six chisel set (because no one starts sharpening until all are dull). Or, best case, see if anyone is located in your area that will invite you to try their chisels out for use.
    David

Blog Entries
    I do not apologize for having a leather chisel roll of Lie Nielsen bevel edge chisels. I've had them for years. Once you but them, they are paid for.

The Bailey/Stanley chisels are. Maybe no more tune up than the high dollar ones, as well.....