Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reasonably priced chisels?

Those are good suggestions, particularly since the OP desires to keep expense to a moderate amount. Quality in chisels is closely tied to price. I would advocate for buying high quality chisels one at a time over a period of time, if necessary. I know so many woodworkers who have layers of redundant tools because they bought the wrong ones early on.

How about Two Cherries, Hirsch? I know some of Two Cherries are heavily polished rounding the edges, but some are not.

I will go with the advice to just buy a couple sizes I know I'll use, instead of a whole set. Same advice I would give for someone getting kitchen knives, geta couple you know you will need instead of a block full of lesser quality knives.

Speaking of which, I'm a kitchen knife nut, so I do lean toward Japanese hardness, but these are chisels so I would imagine some toughness would be desirable for general use. I'm very good at sharpening any knife steel I've come across so no worries there. Mostly use Shapton GS and JNS synthetic Aoto.

I have smaller hands. These will be used for both hand work and mallet. Woods I would use are oak, maple, walnut.

I bought the imperial set of 4 from Narex. I like them, they sharpen well, but the edge retention is not overly great. I use the 1/2" the most, so I just ordered that size in the Veritas PM-V11. It cost more than the whole set of Narex, but the plane blades I have in that metal go forever between sharpenings.

The Narex set is pretty good for the money.

The question the OP was asking.....REASONABLY priced chisel.....with a price point for the SET of under $85.....

Yet, most on here think the OP should spent the entire budget on just a couple chisels....and then make the OP feel bad for even considering anything "less"

I doubt IF the OP wants those 2-3 chisels to last a few decades....the OP wants chisels to use NOW.

Instead,,we get the usual sales/ info-mercial.....about how much they LOVE a certain brand......

I just spent as much on lumber, today...that others spend on a single chisel.....at least I can work on the lumber.....

^^^There is some truth above^^^^
    I’m guilty of it too. Someone asks a question and I try to convince them of my thought process rather than just answer the question.

Don’t be afraid for the “lack” of toughness in good Japanese chisels. I have 5 Koyamaichi chisels and they are just damn fine chisels. But I also like my vintage Berg and Nooitgedagt ones. In the end, it doesn’t matter that much. Get some good ones, don’t buy sets.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    The question the OP was asking.....REASONABLY priced chisel.....with a price point for the SET of under $85.....

Yet, most on here think the OP should spent the entire budget on just a couple chisels....and then make the OP feel bad for even considering anything "less"

I doubt IF the OP wants those 2-3 chisels to last a few decades....the OP wants chisels to use NOW.

Instead,,we get the usual sales/ info-mercial.....about how much they LOVE a certain brand......

I just spent as much on lumber, today...that others spend on a single chisel.....at least I can work on the lumber.....
    Ha, yes, very true. OTOH, now that I've decided to not buy a set, I'm giving the Ashley Iles more consideration.

You mentiond earlier that you have small hands.

If you haven't yet - take a look at some of the old square shank/octagon bolster chisels made prior to WWII... Most of these seem to have smaller handles that are well suited for folks with smaller hands. Ken showed an example of this with his post on the pre vs post war Marples chisels...

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Thill View Post
    Ha, yes, very true. OTOH, now that I've decided to not buy a set, I'm giving the Ashley Iles more consideration.
    I only found the AI from Tools For Working Wood and The Best Things. I think both have them in sets, but not singles (or at least it is harder/takes longer to get them in singles). On the other hand I like mine a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    I only found the AI from Tools For Working Wood and The Best Things. I think both have them in sets, but not singles (or at least it is harder/takes longer to get them in singles). On the other hand I like mine a lot.
    I've bought from both companies more than once. You can't go wrong with either.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Have a couple Ashley Iles Mk2's on the way! Handles look as comfortable as anything else I was looking at or handled. Thanks SMC!

Blog Entries
    Go buy one chisel and see you like it and when your happy, get set.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Thill View Post
    Have a couple Ashley Iles Mk2's on the way! Handles look as comfortable as anything else I was looking at or handled. Thanks SMC!
    Most likely a good choice at a mid range price point. Let us know what you think when you get them.

On the 2" there is a note, "New Style." Makes me wonder if the "New Style" uses a different wood for the handles.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)