Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planer dust collection

Planer dust collection

I'm looking for a dust collector that will handle my 18" Oliver planer, Delta DJ20 and future 24" to 36" drum sander. I want some flexibility as to their location and each will have cast aluminum manual gates with drop down hoses from a 14' main duct mounted 13' above the floor of this level. Each is new to me so I'm not sure what to expect. Thinking 8" main with 6" drops reduced accordingly at each machine. Are cyclones sized the same as a bag or canister system? Any suggestions on size or type will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ron, all machines are sized the same way

1) determine how much flow you need at each machine

2) layout the ductwork on a drawing and determine the static pressure loss

3) look at the performance curves for the collector and determine if it can do the job

It doesn't matter which type of collector it is.............Rod.

I'm not an engineer and I could do that if I knew how much flow that Oliver requires. Is there a chart somewhere that would tell me that? I'm not terribly concerned with static pressure loss as the main duct will be no more than 14' especially if I get a system that will fit in the attic and all of the drops will be done in 45's coming directly off the main.

Are the 5HP Clear Vue Systems worth looking at?

Yes. They are one of the best for a home shop. They are a licensed version of Bill Pentz’s design. His site has a lot of information you should read if you haven’t already.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/woodworking.cfm
    Last edited by Peter Christensen; 07-12-2018 at 6:41 PM. Reason: Add link.

Air handling systems website gives you info to figure out a system. Also a book by Sandor Nagyszalanczy, "Woodshop dust control'' will give you all the info you need. I used this book to figure out my own system, specifically collector size and duct sizing and layout for efficiency,my system works well. Hope this helps, Mike.

Thank you. I have ordered the book and will look at the website.

Sandor’s book is a good one but is 18 or so years old. The very fine dust and what it takes to collect it wasn’t emphasized or understood. The Woodwork forum in Australia has the best information on the subject. It is in the Handtools and Machinery section.

Dust collection like cars, handtool sharpening and the best beer, have differing camps and viewpoints. You’ll have to research a lot to decide what direction you want to head in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hampe View Post
    Are the 5HP Clear Vue Systems worth looking at?
    I have had my clearvue up and running for about 2 months now. It has worked great.

A Clearvue Max most probably has the best performance a small workshop can get due to its impeller and fan housing size. Repeating what Peter said have a look at the Australian Woodworking site for more information on all dust extraction. The inlet design has more effect on performance than has been realised up to now and affects the overall ducting performance more than the ducting design itself in a lot of cases. If you have three phase available buy the cyclone with it and use a VFD to run it for even better performance, I run mine at 65hz at all times and the VFD gives a soft start as well.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Clear Vue Dust Collector

Road trip tomorrow. I bought an older model Clear Vue Dust Collector with a new 5HP Leeson motor tonight for $300. Not sure what model it is but from the pictures it looks like the body is some shade of red if that helps. It also doesn't look it was ever used and I figured the motor alone was worth that. Thankfully they have the manual too.
    Last edited by Ron Hampe; 07-12-2018 at 11:06 PM. Reason: New info

Ron I hate you! My CV cost over $3000.00 Canadian and that was without filters. They are rare here so nothing used ever shows up. Have fun.

Clear vue 4.jpgClear vue 3.jpgClear vue 2.jpgNot sure if it's all there and will know more tomorrow if it was a good deal or not.
    Last edited by Ron Hampe; 07-12-2018 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hampe View Post
    Road trip tomorrow. I bought an older model Clear Vue Dust Collector with a new 5HP Leeson motor tonight for $300. Not sure what model it is but from the pictures it looks like the body is some shade of red if that helps. It also doesn't look it was ever used and I figured the motor alone was worth that. Thankfully they have the manual too.
    Bluddy hell, what a steal! The colour you see will be plain MDF unless it is painted. At that price I would buy a three phase motor and a VFD to make it a better unit.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Barnes & Noble had it used for $1.99. Total was $7.40 with tax and shipping.