Thread: Fill voids in bench top with epoxy and graphite

Fill voids in bench top with epoxy and graphite

Hi Guys

I am putting together a large bench top which has some knots, flaws and voids. Nothing to big to effect the bench, just cosmetic. I would like to fill the voids etc. with some kind of goop, tinted black, so that it looks a little better and the resulting surface will be mostly level. I thought some epoxy and graphite mixture, but before I do anything, I thought a Q to the brain trust was in order. I think I have seen this done before, maybe with reclaimed barn wood, but was unable to find a post or a product to use. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Russ

I have used epoxy and crushed instant coffee crystals on some of my turnings to fill cracks and voids. If the cracks are really thin, you can use DNA to thin the epoxy and the thinned mixture will going into the thinner cracks better.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Not sure how the graphite would affect the epoxy. You could try a small test? Proper pigment is available.

You can get India Ink from a craft store. Just a little drop in a clear epoxy will give you what I think you're looking for.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    You can get India Ink from a craft store. Just a little drop in a clear epoxy will give you what I think you're looking for.
    +1. I have black Transtint on hand so I use that.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

There is such a thing as black epoxy, its just a bit hard to find. My local Ace hardware has some tubes, but others dont.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    +1. I have black Transtint on hand so I use that.
    Same. I use West system w/ 206 (Slow) Hardener with Transtint, and have had no issues. You could also use 207 (Special Clear), but it's a waste of money if it's going to be tinted anyway. Russ, for larger voids use multiple pours and a propane torch to get the bubbles out of the surface.

Golf club epoxy, that heads are glued on shafts with, comes in black, if you don't want to bother with experimenting with dyes, or colorants. Golfworks is where I buy it online.

West offers both a black tint and graphite powder. They state the latter will "produce a low-friction exterior coating with increased scuff resistance and durability."

I've had pretty good luck using tempera paint powder as a colorant. Laser printer or copier toner is another option.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)