Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Durable, grippy, glue-able, thin, rubber strips or sheets?

Michael Kehs wrote about making your own Universal Jam Chuck in the April 2017 Woodcraft mag. and he calls for a sheet of neoprene to cover it. He sourced it at seattlefabrics.com. He recommended the nylon backed 3 or 4 mm thickness stuff. He specifically recommended against mouse pad material because it's too slick.

How about sheets of rubber they use for RV roofs? You might find some scraps to try at a repair place.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

At some of the larger hobby shops (e.g., Michael's or Hobby Lobby, etc.) they sell closed cell foam sheets. I use them on my wood lathe vacuum chuck. Attach it with either silicon rubber (the type 1) or with urethane adhesive.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schwabacher View Post
    Use silicone RTV, "
    That was my first thought after reading the OP.

Have you considered using self adhesive non-skid material. The navy uses it in lots of places and it wears like iron and stays stuck despite lots of foot and other traffic.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-01-2018 at 10:05 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA- '71
    Captain USN(Ret)

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Contribute

Another suggestion: I have used this material for non-slip, but non-sticky, non-abrasive application that needed a good self-adhesive to boot. Not like sandpaper, or skateboard tape, and I have good results on my pocketknives (one-handed thumb stud openers) and guns.

https://www.amazon.com/TALON-998R-Gr...ords=grip+tape

I have had no trouble with the adhesive slipping or peeling, but your application will be trying to slide this stuff sideways under pressure (shear), so that could be a concern.
    Larry

Grip tape. Used on skateboard decks. Adhesive backed already.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

After reading this I bought a sheet of to try. Looks and feels good out of the package, will test when I get the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Loy View Post
    Another suggestion: I have used this material for non-slip, but non-sticky, non-abrasive application that needed a good self-adhesive to boot. Not like sandpaper, or skateboard tape, and I have good results on my pocketknives (one-handed thumb stud openers) and guns.

https://www.amazon.com/TALON-998R-Gr...ords=grip+tape

You might try Lee Valleys Bench Puck material http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,43456,43465 It works well for making jigs for me or making bench pucks. Dan

How about pond liner. Should be locally available. I've used it for similar projects.