Thread: SawStop sliding table

SawStop sliding table

Colleagues: I run a SawStop with the smaller sliding table. Works well.

Now here's my question: is there an aftermarket or shop fabricated clamp that will fit/work on the sliding table fence?
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 07-11-2018 at 9:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    I've never seen one, but looked at the fence online. The Microjig dovetail clamps look like they might fit and are useful in their own right if they don't.

Blog Entries
    From the profile it look like a small f-style clamp would do. despite having a wide variety of tracks and fixtures for things I just use one of these on my sleds more often than not. For deeper clamping to a fence I use a parallel clamp of a close size.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thought more 'bout this today and am going to take a look at the Bessey auto-adjust toggle clamps -- https://www.woodcraft.com/products/b...gle-clamp-high --
    and the River toggles, such as -- https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...00-lb-capacity

Might need to change out the threaded stem for a longer one.

Just need to figure out how to mount them so they can moveable along the fence

Blog Entries
    mounting along the fence is one of the advantages of the microjig dovetail clamp -- if it fits the grove in that fence, which I suspect it will.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Thought more 'bout this today and am going to take a look at the Bessey auto-adjust toggle clamps -- https://www.woodcraft.com/products/b...gle-clamp-high --
    and the River toggles, such as -- https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...00-lb-capacity

Might need to change out the threaded stem for a longer one.

Just need to figure out how to mount them so they can moveable along the fence
    Ah-ha, I misunderstood; you want downward pressure. I use the Bessey auto-adjust clamps for template routing.

template-routing-jig-v2-8.jpg

They are a real time saver. BTW, the Rockler version is terribly inconsistent in clamping pressure and I would avoid them.

If you didn't want to make your own plates for them to mount to, Lee Valley offers some; the t-bolts may have to be swapped for something that fits your track. The auto-adjust clamps also come in a smaller form which may or may not help.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Ray, I would be cautious with clamps such as the autoadjust types. These create much force from inside the track - I tried out a couple on aluminium track inserts, and it bent them. What I use on my Hammer K3 is a version (there are a number of brands available) of the Incra Track Clamp, which screw down, so you can adjust the down force.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Glenn Bradley: thanks for the Lee Valley link! Looks like it might work.

Derek: saw your response and checked the Bessey web site. Bessey claims the clamping force for the auto-adjust clamps is adjustable from approximately 25 to 550 pounds. I also looked at the sliding table fence. It is fabricated from 5mm thick MM ("Mystery Metal"). With a low clamping force, it just might not distort??

I prefer the quick action type clamps. Recently ran a project that needed 10 dadoes and 4 rabbets. To hold the parts down, I utilized a block of wood held to the fence by a small F-clamp. Became tiring/time consuming adjusting the clamp/wood block every time I moved the parts for another cut.

Blog Entries
    Slightly off topic,

i looked at at the SS slider and the thing that bugs me is taking the miter fence on and off. If I want to feed a big piece of plywood, the fence has to come off. It seemed to me that the procedure is just too involved.

comments?