Thread: Delta 40-690 Scroll saw for $100 - Did I do well?

Talking Delta 40-690 Scroll saw for $100 - Did I do well?

The saw is in very good condition with little to no vibration. I got the rest (8) of the blades that were in a delta super sharp #7 12 pack along with the saw. I have never used a scroll saw before and wanted to get it to make jig saw puzzles from my son. I was able to print a bunch of pictures and cut up 1/2" and 1/4" plywood into puzzles. Came out OK and the issues seemingly were my own making with not having any practice on a scroll saw.

The air blower tube was missing and taped up a 1/4" garden feeder tube and that seems to work nicely. I was going to add some fencing wire to the tube to make it retain its shape but taping it to the foot seems to work fine for now. The light gets real hot and am thinking about changing to a LED bulb. and also wiring them together so I do not need two outlets to drive this machine.

Any tips for blades?

ScrollSaw-1.jpgScrollSaw-2.jpgScrollSaw-3.jpg

That is a nice saw, and you did good. I am sure you will enjoy it. If you ever decide to get something different, you will probably make money on it.

A #5 blade is a good general starter blade, and the kind that has a few reverse teeth on the lower end will cut both sides of the cut pretty cleanly.

Check Google for scroll saw tips, and YouTube for videos. That will keep you busy.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 07-11-2018 at 10:47 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Thanks Rick. This is what I love about sawmillcreek. Such warmth. Always. I started to make more of the puzzles to get some practice. I am finding that I need to focus and have patience to get good results and am looking at that as a personal growth area. I also like how quickly with very little setup I can turn out something finished.

I like the tip about the 1/4" drip line for the blower. Great idea.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.