Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dado set

I've used the DeWalt stack with great success. It does leave a slightly raised cut from the chippers, but it cuts very well.

Freud works with the Sawstop, but I've noticed when touching the blade, the constructiveness of the blade doesn't register on the Sawstop indicator as fast as other blades. I think it's their non-stick coating. Maybe I'm just imagining it, but I'd rather not take the chance that the brake might fire a few milliseconds slower.
    Last edited by Corey Pelton; 07-13-2018 at 12:52 PM.

That's interesting about the Freud blades. Are/were you touching the teeth when you noticed this?

here is a video i did on the differences about the dado stacks

jack
    English machines

I have used a Freud 8” stacked set (SD208) for some time now. Works fine, no complaints, and within your budget. Don’t have much experience with other sets though.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Pelton View Post
    I've used the DeWalt stack with great success. It does leave a slightly raised cut from the chippers, but it cuts very well.

Freud works with the Sawstop, but I've noticed when touching the blade, the constructiveness of the blade doesn't register on the Sawstop indicator as fast as other blades. I think it's their non-stick coating. Maybe I'm just imagining it, but I'd rather not take the chance that the brake might fire a few milliseconds slower.
    You need to touch the tips of the blades to determine how quickly the system detects you finger. If your finger came in contact with the side of the blade while it was running, it wouldn't much hurt you.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Given the budget, I would get a Dewalt set.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    CMT makes a good dado set
    Not recommended to use with a sawstop

I would firstly contact Sawstop. They sent me a list of acceptable dado sets. All of the Freud sets are not recommended except the SD208S

So the Dewalt and the SD208S would be a good choice given your budget.

I originally bought Freud's SD508 set and it was brilliant but ended up selling it because of what Sawstop said. I bought the Dewalt and it works well.

Would you be so kind as to post that list? I asked them a while back and didn’t get a response. I have a Freud chip limited set and will either sell them or have a saw sharpening shop grind them off. That would however leave the possibility of the Chrome chipping.

I lost the email but I got this off "lumberjacks' web site

•Forrest Dado King DK0824XXX (5/8” arbor)
    •DeWalt DW7670 8” Dado Stack
    •Freud SD208S 8” Dado Stack (NEW, March 2017)
    •Tenryu GMD-20340
    •King Canada KSC-8000
    •Amana 658040

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Barr View Post
    Not recommended to use with a sawstop

I would firstly contact Sawstop. They sent me a list of acceptable dado sets. All of the Freud sets are not recommended except the SD208S

So the Dewalt and the SD208S would be a good choice given your budget.

I originally bought Freud's SD508 set and it was brilliant but ended up selling it because of what Sawstop said. I bought the Dewalt and it works well.
    Any idea why certain dado stacks are not recommended by SawStop? Do they not fit well? Or not stop well with the brake? Or what?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Any idea why certain dado stacks are not recommended by SawStop? Do they not fit well? Or not stop well with the brake? Or what?

Mike
    I don't know all the reasons but two are solid chipper plates end up with too much mass and depth limiting shoulders reduce the bite of the blade into the aluminum block.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Barr View Post
    I lost the email but I got this off "lumberjacks' web site

•Forrest Dado King DK0824XXX (5/8” arbor)
    •DeWalt DW7670 8” Dado Stack
    •Freud SD208S 8” Dado Stack (NEW, March 2017)
    •Tenryu GMD-20340
    •King Canada KSC-8000
    •Amana 658040
    Thank you Johnny. Mine is a Freud SD208 (older without the "S"). Looks like I'll have to replace it or have it modified to take off the chip limiters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Colombo View Post
    What should I look for in a dado set? I'll probably be using it mostly for rabbits and grooves (no more than 3/4").

Thanks,
    Jim
    I like to use 7/8 ounce of #6s through a modified choke from a 20 gauge for rabbits.

I exclusively use my shaper for rabbets and use it for most grooving. I use Freeborn's brazed carbide PC series cutterheads and they work very well. A decent shaper makes a MUCH better tool for rabbeting and grooving than a saw with a stack blade setup. The wobble blades are complete crap, you're far better off dadoing by making multiple passes with any single blade you have as even an ATB blade will leave a flatter bottom to the dado than a wobble blade will.

I do have a dado stack for cutting dados. You want a GOOD dado stack, else you'll get chipout and ragged bottoms of cuts. I have a Freud SD512 for my radial arm saw, which is what I use to cut nearly all of my dados with. It's a good, high quality dado set and cuts a clean, flat-bottomed dado. It wasn't cheap but it was worth the several hundred dollars I paid for it a few years ago. I have a crappy madeinchina 8" stack dado for my cabinet saw and it cuts considerably more roughly since the cutters aren't as finely jointed to cut a flat bottom. It is also much noisier and has notably more chip-out. I use this set for working with nasty stuff such as cutting notches and half-laps in sappy pine and pressure-treated pine and leave the shaper and SD512 for cabinetry work.

For that saw and your budget, it'll be tough to beat the Delta/DW 7670. It's the best performer near the price range, and gives a taste of the best sets for near half the price.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....