Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dado set

dado set

What should I look for in a dado set? I'll probably be using it mostly for rabbits and grooves (no more than 3/4").

Thanks,
    Jim

Whats your budget?
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Also, what brand saw? (SawStop has some possible restrictions.)

My opinion. Don't buy the one that you turn part of the unit to adjust the width. You will end up taking it all loose to make the adjustment.
    Buy the one with separate blades. the blades come In different widths and can be adjusted with paper/cardboard shims, usually before mounting
    on saw. Buy carbide if you intend to use it a lot.

I have the feeling they are custom made as sets as sets and may fit better

A bit off subject, but I have a dado set and rarely use it. I use a router to make dados. The problem with a dado set is that if your panel has any warp - and you don't put a lot of downward pressure on it when cutting - the dado will not be of equal depth along the cut. A router will follow any warp and make a consistent depth dado.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I use both a router and table saw with dado blade, and find it is simpler to use the router table with a 3/4" cutter, and then just sand the parts till they will fit in the groove. I make my boards 13/16 thick, glue up panels, then use the wide belt to bring smooth, first with a 60 grit, then a 120 belt.

I have the Delta/DeWalt
    7670. It has 4 tooth chippers and a nice case. It won't break the bank at $125. I am happy with it.

Jim, for me the 2 most important things are lack of chip out and a very flat bottom.

I have an FS Tools set, it is ground as an assembly so it produces a perfectly flat bottom.

I also have a shaper type adjustable groover that I use, it produces perfectly flat bottoms and edges.

My saw has a solid 30mm arbour with no threads so I don't have an issue with different height blades or chippers, which can happen on some machines with threaded arbours.

regards, Rod.

Don't know how much saw you have, but another caution is to check your saw's manual. I was just about to pull the trigger on an expensive 8" set for my old Delta Contractor Saw. Then I read the manual and it recommended using only a 6" set. (I'm suspect that's tied to the lower HP of my contractor saw.) YMMV.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Also, what brand saw? (SawStop has some possible restrictions.)
    sawstop budget around $150

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    A bit off subject, but I have a dado set and rarely use it. I use a router to make dados. The problem with a dado set is that if your panel has any warp - and you don't put a lot of downward pressure on it when cutting - the dado will not be of equal depth along the cut. A router will follow any warp and make a consistent depth dado.

Mike
    Mike;
    That's how I started out but after a lengthy period of time where I was having problems with the router I finally figured out that the collet wasn't holding the bit (no mater how hard I tightened the nut). I've since ordered a new collet hoping that is really the problem and not the router. I have a DeWalt router.
    I would prefer using the router also but I'm under the gun to get this project done quickly.

Jim

Jim, sometimes the problem is just from allowing the bit to bottom out ,it should be about an 1/8 th from the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Colombo View Post
    sawstop budget around $150
    Jim,

I recently did some research into buying a dado set for my SawStop. Ended up buying the Forrest Dado King set, which would be more than you want to spend. While I haven't used the Dewalt set, it seems to get good reviews in its price range.

A few SawStop considerations, in case you're not aware of them.

SawStop recommends against dados that use full sized blades for the chippers, because their weight will slow down the brake cartridge's stopping time.

Some of the Freud sets apparently aren't a true 8" dimension, but I believe they do now offer some that are. Again, possible brake problems.

SawStop says don't use a "wobble" dado set, although they need not have told me that. In my mind, the terms "table saw" and "wobble" don't go together.

I'm new to the dado world myself, so others may be able to offer better advice.

Quote Originally Posted by anne watson View Post
    My opinion. Don't buy the one that you turn part of the unit to adjust the width. You will end up taking it all loose to make the adjustment.

Unless you simply back the arbor nut off half a turn, click as desired and tighten the nut. Works for me.

CMT makes a good dado set
    If you are going to use your dado on plywood get a negative rake one to reduce ply wood

I just refurbished an old 8”sears zip code saw to be a dedicated dado saw so I bought this set last month
    Love it!!

https://aboloxtools.com/cmt-orange-t...SABEgJ7MfD_BwE
    Carpe Lignum