Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tool Tray

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    I'm on bench number six now. 5 had tool trays and this last one is an adjust a bench with a 30" top. I still have a tool tray bench in the garage which I use in good weather. I would not trade the 30" top for any bench after 3 years of use. I do like tool trays so I say you need both. I'm thinking of making another one similar to Ken's bench. Narrow working surface, 12" or so, and tool tray. Great for doing most jobs. For bigger work, like case work or work with legs wider than the 12" that 30" top is just what I need. I also have 4 vises on it, one on each corner, one side right handed the other side left, wouldn't trade that either.
    Jim
    Jim,

I'll bet it was number four or later before the magic happened.

I'm really impressed with the small Moravian bench. I'll know in a month or so how it scales up to a full sized bench.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    The bench in the Dungeon shop does have a tool tray....keeps things from rolling off the edge. One idea to try, IF you want to....make a "cover" that fits over the tool tray.....with a bit under the cover to fit IN the tray. So...when you really NEED the extra space..use the cover-up....Me? I usually need what is beyond the tray....may need to move a couple chisels, from time to time. Once a month, I clean it out..if needed. Makes a nice place to stash a plane, between uses. At least that Sargent #408 won't walk across the bench, while I use a different plane...yet be handy when I need it.
    Steven,

I've seen photos, I think there's a tool tray under the tools .

ken

Ken, I'm looking forward to following your bench build thread. My current bench was the first thing I built, and while not terrible it is not great either. I'm very fond of the Moravian bench design, except for the fact that the ones I've seen have all been so short. I'm pretty sure the Moravians who built the bench in Salem, NC that these are modeled after were fairly short. At 6' 2" I'll probably aim for something a little higher.

cleaned out.jpg
    By Golly, you might be right....

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Mikes View Post
    Ken, I'm looking forward to following your bench build thread. My current bench was the first thing I built, and while not terrible it is not great either. I'm very fond of the Moravian bench design, except for the fact that the ones I've seen have all been so short. I'm pretty sure the Moravians who built the bench in Salem, NC that these are modeled after were fairly short. At 6' 2" I'll probably aim for something a little higher.
    Steven,

The bench can be made to any height. The Will Myers build was a near copy of one found at Old Salem. Two things about the height: You are correct folks were shorter back then and wood stock planes tend to need lower bench heights. I've built two Moravian style benches, the first had a 860mm slab height. The second bench's slab is 830mm high. I expect the next one will be closer to 830mm than 860mm because it will be used as a planing bench. I have a 900mm high French/English bench with a Moxon mounted as well for joinery. At 6'2" I expect you would be happier with the 900mm bench.

ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Jim,

I try to clean up before quitting for the day, doesn't always happen but I try. I think the deciding factor would be how wide the main slab is.

ken
    When the clock in the shop was working this was easier to do. Now, all of a sudden it is dinner time and the shop gets abandoned rather quickly. The other self made problem is my habit of setting things on the bench when doing tasks other than woodworking. Things are brought in from outside and set on the bench to be sorted later.

So for me it seems the easiest is to clean up at the beginning of the day. Though sometimes it is cleaned up as work progresses throughout the day.

My other thoughts on tool tray location is my desire to have a lefty/righty bench. To do that the tray would have to be down the middle.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ken,

Like you, I never have had a tool tray either, always thinking it takes away from work area, and never liked the idea of one. This is not to say I ever do anything right currently, because on those occasions when I work in the garage on my good saw horses and planks (my best bench), I lay tools on a plank on the floor behind me. When working outside on my old saw horses and planks, which is the vast majority of the time, a deck is extremely close, and that is my tool stand. (It rained this morning, so my plans for today are temporarily messed up.

However, your post has made me realize that on a portable bench, which I will take to the work, it looks extremely practical. With different set ups I have used in the past, the one I liked best was just something behind me, a small stand or something I could set tools on. So for me, if I ever actually have a shop that is likely the way I will go, but like I said, your tool tray in the portable bench makes a lot of sense. Carrying a small stand or whatever for setting tools on when away from home for the work is just one more thing to haul around, and I would probably not do such.

Where I need a portable bench, it is typically carpentry related, not fine woodworking. I hope to work on maintenance at a church camp using the portable bench, and most recently have worked on the kids house, or one of their rentals or on the church on a church work day, so for me a portable bench sounds extremely useful.

I appreciate the post and idea, and have followed the comments from everyone with interest

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 07-14-2018 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Ken,

Like you, I never have had a tool tray either, always thinking it takes away from work area, and never liked the idea of one. This is not to say I ever do anything right currently, because on those occasions when I work in the garage on my good saw horses and planks (my best bench), I lay tools on a plank on the floor behind me. When working outside on my old saw horses and planks, which is the vast majority of the time, a deck is extremely close, and that is my tool stand. (It rained this morning, so my plans for today are temporarily messed up.

However, your post has made me realize that on a portable bench, which I will take to the work, it looks extremely practical. With different set ups I have used in the past, the one I liked best was just something behind me, a small stand or something I could set tools on. So for me, if I ever actually have a shop that is likely the way I will go, but like I said, your tool tray in the portable bench makes a lot of sense. Carrying a small stand or whatever for setting tools on when away from home for the work is just one more thing to haul around, and I would probably not do such.

Where I need a portable bench, it is typically carpentry related, not fine woodworking. I hope to work on maintenance at a church camp using the portable bench, and most recently have worked on the kids house, or one of their rentals or on the church on a church work day, so for me a portable bench sounds extremely useful.

I appreciate the post and idea, and have followed the comments from everyone with interest

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Stew,

The Moravian style portable bench is an amazing example of engineering or evolution. Doesn't really matter which because it works however it came about. Bottom line the little bench is quick and easy to build, is very portable (I haven't weighted them but I expect no part is heavier than 40 lbs.), and is very stable. I've used it both in camp sites and the back garden of our house. It is easy enough to break down and assemble that I'm willing to do it for even minor jobs. Every home owner/handy man should have one.

ken