Thread: Log section storage questions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Log section storage questions

When I get wood from a downed tree I have been cutting the log sections into short lengths (10-16") and cutting them in half to get rid of the pith. I brush on Anchor Seal and store in a log rack beside my garage. No matter if I cover the wood with a tarp or leave it uncovered the wood cracks as it gets hot sun between 10am-2pm. Even if it's sealed with Anchor seal or latex paint as other have suggested it still cracks badly. I have some recently cut cherry that I got a month ago and it has all cracked so bad that it's mostly unusable for bowls but I may be able to salvage some for spindle blanks. (I can't move it anywhere else around the outside of the house per the Boss Lady's mandate).

I have some room (not much) in our single car garage for about 6-8ft of storage along the inside of the "outside" wall opposite the wall shared with the house. What are your thoughts, ideas, tips, etc about storing sealed wood in the garage? Any suggestions on a log rack/ heavy duty wire shelves, etc??

I friend suggested that if I leave the wood stored outside that I use melted paraffin wax as an end sealer. But, will that slow the drying too much compared to Anchor seal?

Thanks
    Ricc Havens
    Elkhart, IN
    Last edited by Ricc Havens; 07-10-2018 at 1:18 PM.