Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diamond stones/lube or not?

Diamond stones/lube or not?

Just got a couple of DMT diamond stones, and wondering if I need to use some type of lube, such as oil or soapy water. These stones have a nickel plating so rust should not be a concern. First time user so I could use some advice. Thanks in advance.

I use about a teaspoon of dish soap (maybe a little less) in a 1 pint approx. spray bottle of water. For the same DMT stones.

You have to use something to carry away the metal. I use Windex.

Quote Originally Posted by Chet R Parks View Post
    I use about a teaspoon of dish soap (maybe a little less) in a 1 pint approx. spray bottle of water. For the same DMT stones.
    I do the same.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I use watered down windex.

I've used many different liquids.... Mineral Spirits, Soapy water, water, mineral oil but my latest most liked is Simple Green, diluted with twice the suggested water. For the stones coarser than 1200 i often use them dry for brief periods and give them a quick vacuum with the shop vac. The finer 1200 and 8000 stones get water or simple green and i wipe them dry when i'm done. It helps to use a sanding belt eraser to clean them from time to time or a scrub with Ajax and a stiff brush.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Blog Entries
    Maybe I don't know what is proper, but I use my diamond hone dry.

Blog Entries
    For quick touch ups, I don't wet them. For a regular sharpening session I prefer a bit of liquid to carry off the spoil. I use whatever is handy. I have a spray bottle of mineral spirits and also a soap dispenser at the sink where I sharpen. The MS is less messy but, the soapy water has no fumes.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I thought that DMT had a product that contained something that also prevented rust.... that was kind of expensive to use. I do not see it in their list so perhaps they discontinued it. In their FAQ, they recommend water, which is almost a guarantee that either they dropped the product, or, it was offered by another company.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/D...e-FAQ-W54.aspx

Yep, my mistake, it is manufactured by Trend, they have a "Diamond Abrasive Lapping Fluid". The literature (propaganda) states:

Trend Lapping Fluid is better than plain water for lubricating the surface of the stone to prevent the stone from loading and to reduce the threat of rust by up to 95%. It actually improves the performance of any diamond abrasive, making sharpening even easier and faster than ever before. Comes in 100ml plastic bottle.
    I have only heard good things about it from people who use it, which means two or three people that I have met.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Just got a couple of DMT diamond stones, and wondering if I need to use some type of lube, such as oil or soapy water. These stones have a nickel plating so rust should not be a concern. First time user so I could use some advice. Thanks in advance.
    I use water with a few drops of dishwasher rinse aid.
    There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I thought that DMT had a product that contained something that also prevented rust.... that was kind of expensive to use. I do not see it in their list so perhaps they discontinued it. In their FAQ, they recommend water, which is almost a guarantee that either they dropped the product, or, it was offered by another company.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/D...e-FAQ-W54.aspx

Yep, my mistake, it is manufactured by Trend, they have a "Diamond Abrasive Lapping Fluid". The literature (propaganda) states:

I have only heard good things about it from people who use it, which means two or three people that I have met.

I used this lapping fluid for a while on my diamond plates. Too expensive, though - kerosene works very well.

TedP

Water. I did use soap a couple times here and there on my DMTs. really Doesn't matter too much. I didn't care if there was soap or not. I've used diamond plates dry plenty too.

I would rather be touching just water and steel then anything else. Even soap.

I've tried soap, windex, water, oil, and just about everything else you can imagine on diamond stones, and most of the time, I wind up just using them dry and periodically washing them off. Unlike most stones, for some reason, I don't like how they "feel" with most lubricants. It does help to carry the swarf away, but isn't really necessary unless you're removing a lot of metal.

At the cost of some of these plates, in my mind it just makes sense to add a lubricant of some kind between the chisel or plane and the plate. But they can be used dry, and I think I even read in the instructions that came with mine that with or without is fine.

I use a large Dawn dish detergent bottle which has been emptied of soap then refilled with water. Have the cleanest Atoma's in town.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe